Leaving new position

Specialties NP

Published

I just started a new position one month ago as a new grad, it went great for the first few weeks despite my schedule being changed, but in the last week the attitude from the other NP's I work with has changed drastically. It is making my training very hard, and leaving me stressed going to work daily. I attempted addressing this with them directly, but nothing has changed. They have lost multiple NP's recently to personality differences. The practice manager has noticed this change as well and told me they are like this and I will move locations eventually (no time frame is available right now).

I feel like I need to find a new position, but don't know how to address leaving so quickly after starting with any new prospective employers.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My general rule of thumb when things go pear shaped is to get in there, do your job, and don't bother making friends. You can't help personality differences, you can only help the patients you're there to care for. Your supervisor is aware. I would just hunker down, focus on what I needed to do, and gtfo when I've done at least a year.

I have never started a new job that i don't have buyers regret 1-2 months in. That is kind of normal. I have always stayed and ended up liking the job in the end. At my current job, the other providers were great but it took me a few years to win over some of the clinical staff. I just did my job and tried to be friendly. Just like you are adjusting to a new job other workers are adjusting to how you change the culture. While I don't think I would stay at a place that is hostile long term.............i think one month into a new job AND a new profession is too soon to throw in the towel. Good luck!

Specializes in Psychiatric and Mental Health NP (PMHNP).

It is common for new jobs to have a "honeymoon period" when everything seems wonderful. Yours is evidently over. Try to hang in there for at least one year. You're not there to make friends, but to do your job. Good luck.

+ Add a Comment