Has anyone ever done a post masters?

Specialties Advanced

Published

Specializes in ER.

My program only had FNP and PMHNP as options so I chose FNP. I have mainly worked in the ER for my nursing career, so if they had that AGACNP speciality I would have chosen that. I was considering going back and finding a program that did offer it after I graduate this may and wanted to see if anyone had any experience in doing this..

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

I did two post-MSN certs. I got my MSN in management and leadership (non-clinical MSN) then did an adult CNS (3Ps and 500+ hours of clinical), then a couple of years later did a Peds CNS (3Ps again as the program had changed + 550 hours clinical)

Now (12 years later) I have two certs for which i must complete CME. Since they are both population focused I have to do double the CME.

Specializes in ED.

Why do you feel that you need the Acute care after receiving the FNP? It is usually the other way around here.

Specializes in ER.

I guess because I want to work in a hospital. So I think the training for that speciality would be more geared towards working inside a hospital.

Specializes in ED.
I guess because I want to work in a hospital. So I think the training for that speciality would be more geared towards working inside a hospital.

Gotcha. I think I read your OP as you were already working as an NP in the ER. Yes, if you are wanting a higher acuity job or a hospitalist position, you'd definitely need the acute care.

I'm going to do a post-masters FNP starting this fall.

Can't wait to go back to school.

Hi, where are you considering doing your post master FNP?

Specializes in ED.

My current employer is asking me to so I can see peds.

I am also think that I am approaching a retirement age and can't see me working in a busy ER / hospital environment in my 60s and may consider a clinic or possibly my own practice if my state gets with the program by then.

I am in the process of completing the Psych NP program in May 2018. I have been a FNP since 2014. I have a colleague who is a ACNP and he talks about going back for his FNP at some point in time. Unfortunately the ACNP knocked him out of the running for urgent care or emergency room due to it being adult only. I'm confused as to the why the ACNP has not expanded to education about the whole lifespan instead of just adult and geriatrics. Of course I still work in a State which does not enforce practicing only within your specialty.

Specializes in Pediatric Critical Care.

Vanderbilt has a program for FNPs that want to do acute care work in the ED. AN won't let me link it, but its listed under their MSN post-masters curriculum choices.

Specializes in emergency, med-surg, occupational health.

Hi. I currently have a certification as an Adult-Gerontology NP. I am interested in finding a Psych Post Master's Certificate Program. Any help, advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

+ Add a Comment