Heart health awareness month

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Hematology-oncology.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25938&stc=1

I'm hoping to start some discussion around the important topic of Heart Disease, and (hopefully!) learn some things in the process. Please comment on a heart related subject you want to learn more about this year, or share knowledge you have gained in the field.

I'd also like to hear what challenges you encounter teaching your patients, or perhaps some tactics you use in teaching that have helped you be successful.

My personal goal is to learn more about the ways that chemo affects the heart. I would like to feel more confident that I am adequately monitoring my patients for the development of this potential side effect.

Heart Problems | Cancer.Net

Specializes in Private Duty Pediatrics.

Chronic hypoxemia causes the pulmonary arteries to constrict, causing pulmonary hypertension, leading to right heart failure.

Specializes in Pedi.

I think chemo's affect on the heart is usually a late effect- like years later. I have met a few heart failure patients in my current job who are young adults who survived pediatric cancer 10-15 years ago and developed cardiotoxicity from doxorubicin.

+ Add a Comment