Contractually Obligated - Hate my job

Nurses Professionalism

Published

I recently went through a contracted perioperative 5/6 month program. I have been working on my own for less than 6 weeks and hate the culture of my workplace. I would rather eat up my PTO by leaving early (low-census) than stay there. If I want a different position at my facility (like my old position on the floor) I would have to pay back $2400 (less hours worked x a formula) for leaving my 2 year contract early. I have so much anxiety walking through the door, and there is nothing I can do to improve the situation. If I stay in this position for 2 years I think I may lose my mind. I understand the importance of contractual obligations and I'd like the opinion of seasoned nurses. Does your job satisfaction rank highest on reasons you're loyal to your job? If the culture won't change do you leave the culture? Where do you find your most joy in being a nurse?

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

If $2400 is the only penalty and you CAN go back to your old position, you'd be crazy not to.

klone, MSN, RN

14,790 Posts

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

I would not stay anywhere that I hated and dreaded.

llg, PhD, RN

13,469 Posts

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

The quality of my life is well worth $2400. If that is your only penalty, pay it and be happy.

NurseMoneyTalk

11 Posts

I would have to pay back $2400 (less hours worked x a formula) for leaving my 2 year contract early.

If you can leave and all you have to do is payback the sign on bonus that is something to consider. I think what hasn't been said is do you have the money to pay it back? If not you might want to hang tight until you do.

JKL33

6,777 Posts

I would consider a contract broken if reality was clearly incongruent with the terms (including mission statements and other things that might be said to represent what the company presents/offers in the contract). Just because such things don't have a tangible dollar value doesn't mean they aren't part of the terms.

Whether I paid to get out of the contract or not, I would not view it as a moral or ethical failure to forego a continued employment relationship with an employer who grossly misrepresented important workplace factors. That's on them.

Davey Do

10,476 Posts

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

I don't know if this helps, but I quit a job 7 months after the hospital paid for my tuition. The contract stated I needed to work at the hospital 2 years after I received my RN.

The working conditions were hostile and I quit. The department of employment security awarded me unemployment benefits. When the hospital's attorneys contacted me for payment, I responded with a letter of the facts and never heard from them again.

Green Tea, RN

138 Posts

I work in the OR. I know some people who work in the OR can be nasty and even abusive. You may know already, but the culture will not be changed. Management doesn't care. It's sad though.

I am not seeking joy in my current job. As long as the people who are working in the same room are not abusive, I will call my day is good. I don't feel like to stay in this job forever though.

If you can leave the OR by paying $2400, I think it's not bad. Precepting/training somebody is not free. I precept a nurse to be a circulator, and I'm paid a premium (the amount is small though). Also, if you leave earlier than the contracted term, they will have to hire another nurse to fill the hole.

JKL33

6,777 Posts

Precepting/training somebody is not free. I precept a nurse to be a circulator, and I'm paid a premium (the amount is small though). Also, if you leave earlier than the contracted term, they will have to hire another nurse to fill the hole.

And arguably if they maintain a toxic culture, they can eat the cost of that.

Write a check and fly free!!! Life's too short for misery for 2 hours much less 2 years

Specializes in ICU; Telephone Triage Nurse.

$2,400.00 is well worth being rid of the job. Heck, I'd pay 4x's that amount for my happiness.

Go - and go well!

+ Add a Comment