Possible Relocation to Austin

U.S.A. Texas

Published

Specializes in Med Surg/Ortho.

I am a Colorado nursing student graduating this May. It is a very tough climate here for new nurses. Especially ADNs. I am also dually enrolled at a BSN program, but won't graduate for another year probably. So I am looking at other areas to possibly move to. One state mentioned to me by a few friends is Texas. I know some people who have moved there in the last couple of years and like it. They say the cost of living is so much less than Colorado.

So I'm curious how it is for nurses, especially new nurses. I'm specifically looking at the Austin and surrounding areas. Are there any new grad residency programs? Will hospitals hire ADNs? Is the pay comparative to the cost of living? I do have two kids (one in high school, one going into middle school - 6th grade) so any information about good neighborhoods and schools would also be appreciated. Thank you.

Hello Satori77, Texas is an excellent place to practice. I started my nursing career with Set on, they have several large hospitals in the greater Austin area and have an excellent new grad residency program. I have friends who work for St David's, but have no personal experience with them. New nurses make 25 ish and that can be challenging if you live in Austin proper. I'm in Round Rock and find it more affordable. Our kids have attended private Christian school and are now in a charter school in Georgetown. It's K-12 and we love it. Happy to answer whatever questions you have! I was hired with an ADN, and with you being in the BSN program, should be no problem.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Don't move to Austin without a written job offer and firm start date. Austin is SATURATED with new grad nurses, having many educational systems within 100 miles that offer nursing degrees of all levels. With just an ADN and no inside connections, you will be at a disadvantage for job offers, competing with the local BSN grads who did their clinicals in the local hospital systems.

Know that Austin is growing very fast, is an extremely popular destination for many young people due to a lively night life and a younger population set. It tends to pay much lower than the rest of the state for nurse salaries (some places start as low as $19 -23/hour) and has a higher cost of living due to a robust work pool from which employers can choose and the lack of adequate housing within the city proper. Jobs in Austin pay less than the state average and rents cost more likewise. Can you move successfully to Austin? Yes, but do so with your eyes open to the realities of life there and the challenge that will await you as an out-of-state applicant.

I will be moving from Pueblo, CO with my BSN this May to the central Texas area, currently applying to multiple new grad programs, (BSWH, St davids, Seton, Methodist, Baptist). Would love any info you guys have for the move or on specific hospitals!

Don't move to Austin without a written job offer and firm start date. Austin is SATURATED with new grad nurses, having many educational systems within 100 miles that offer nursing degrees of all levels. With just an ADN and no inside connections, you will be at a disadvantage for job offers, competing with the local BSN grads who did their clinicals in the local hospital systems.

Know that Austin is growing very fast, is an extremely popular destination for many young people due to a lively night life and a younger population set. It tends to pay much lower than the rest of the state for nurse salaries (some places start as low as $19 -23/hour) and has a higher cost of living due to a robust work pool from which employers can choose and the lack of adequate housing within the city proper. Jobs in Austin pay less than the state average and rents cost more likewise. Can you move successfully to Austin? Yes, but do so with your eyes open to the realities of life there and the challenge that will await you as an out-of-state applicant.

Austin sounds a lot like Dallas.

I plan to move from CO in Sept and was wondering if you decided to move to Austin and how successful you were in job finding? I am starting my job application now and would love more info before moving!

+ Add a Comment