Finished nursing school and waiting on approval from BRN to take nclex

Nurses Career Support

Published

I'm from Los Angeles, CA. I just graduated in December and submitted everything to the BRN. I even paid for pearson vue. Now i'm in limbo waiting for approval. I try to study every day. I did a Kaplan review and now I am just trying to do a min of 2 hours+ every day if I can.

Thing is I don't know what I should be doing. I have a feeling I missed something that all new grads should do after they graduate. I am unemployed at the moment so should I be looking for a nursing-related job like a patient assistant? or is it okay that I take on a small food service part-time job while I'm waiting? Should I be looking up new grad residency programs? Should I be applying ahead? can I even apply before I get my license?

I also want to figure out how I can transfer my license so I can move out of state and apply to other hospitals. I feel like Los Angeles is oversaturated with nurses and I'm worried I won't find anything. I am willing to move up north or midwest in order to be trained properly and gained experience. I really want to find a new grad residency program.

I really need some guidance. It's silly that I need someone to hold my hand but I don't really have anyone to turn to. I plan on speaking to some of the nursing staff at my school in the next few weeks.

Anything helps

thank you

I recently graduated and passed my NCLEX and have a job lined up. I took two weeks off around the holidays to just relax and not think about nursing. I had access to Hurst, Kaplan, and UWorld. Honestly, I only did about 1000 questions on UWorld and read all of the rationales. I thought this was the most helpful. I really didn't go through Kaplan (I got it for free) and reviewed the Hurst book a bit. I didn't put a time limit on studying each day because I realized I was blowing through questions just to get to my goal of 150 questions for that day. Questions are definitely the way to go!

While studying I had a hospital job that I went to very little (it was far away from me, I didn't want to cloud my brain with non perfect NCLEX scenarios). Instead, I babysat for a little side gig. I'd do something small if you can so you at least have some spending money. If you don't already have a job at a hospital I wouldn't spend your time applying for one now. Plus, once you receive your RN license states have different rules on whether or not you can continue to work as an aide. I'd go for a job that you can get rather quickly!

I really wanted a new grad residency program so I applied only to those programs before I received my RN license number. I found a lot of places that didn't have programs required me to type in a license number to move on, which I didn't have, so it turned out to be a huge waste of time for me. New grad programs know that you probably won't have a license when you apply and they don't require one in order to move through the process (from what I've experienced). That being said, definitely apply if you want something! I had planned on applying to non-new grad program jobs once I received my license number, but if you find the jobs around you still accept applications without then definitely apply!

Hopefully some of this helped! Good luck on NCLEX!

I recently graduated and passed my NCLEX and have a job lined up. I took two weeks off around the holidays to just relax and not think about nursing. I had access to Hurst, Kaplan, and UWorld. Honestly, I only did about 1000 questions on UWorld and read all of the rationales. I thought this was the most helpful. I really didn't go through Kaplan (I got it for free) and reviewed the Hurst book a bit. I didn't put a time limit on studying each day because I realized I was blowing through questions just to get to my goal of 150 questions for that day. Questions are definitely the way to go!

While studying I had a hospital job that I went to very little (it was far away from me, I didn't want to cloud my brain with non perfect NCLEX scenarios). Instead, I babysat for a little side gig. I'd do something small if you can so you at least have some spending money. If you don't already have a job at a hospital I wouldn't spend your time applying for one now. Plus, once you receive your RN license states have different rules on whether or not you can continue to work as an aide. I'd go for a job that you can get rather quickly!

I really wanted a new grad residency program so I applied only to those programs before I received my RN license number. I found a lot of places that didn't have programs required me to type in a license number to move on, which I didn't have, so it turned out to be a huge waste of time for me. New grad programs know that you probably won't have a license when you apply and they don't require one in order to move through the process (from what I've experienced). That being said, definitely apply if you want something! I had planned on applying to non-new grad program jobs once I received my license number, but if you find the jobs around you still accept applications without then definitely apply!

Hopefully some of this helped! Good luck on NCLEX!

Wow, this information was very helpful.

I've been sick recently and haven't been able to focus. My school delayed super hard on sending out my transcripts because our director was holding them back. We recently were told that they were sent about a week ago. So I know limbo is coming to an end sometime soon. I got Kaplan for free but it was paid for in tuition for school. I'm just focusing on this now doing content review, questions, then question remediation.

One of these days I gotta sit down and write a list of places offering new grad programs. I know there are some big ones that everyone knows about but I know if I search online I'll find other hospitals integrating those programs. I remembering seeing some on Indeed.com.

thanks for the info!

Specializes in 15 years in ICU, 22 years in PACU.
I'm from Los Angeles, CA. I just graduated in December and submitted everything to the BRN. I even paid for pearson vue. Now i'm in limbo waiting for approval. I try to study every day. I did a Kaplan review and now I am just trying to do a min of 2 hours+ every day if I can.

Thing is I don't know what I should be doing. I have a feeling I missed something that all new grads should do after they graduate. I am unemployed at the moment so should I be looking for a nursing-related job like a patient assistant? or is it okay that I take on a small food service part-time job while I'm waiting? Should I be looking up new grad residency programs? Should I be applying ahead? can I even apply before I get my license?

I also want to figure out how I can transfer my license so I can move out of state and apply to other hospitals. I feel like Los Angeles is oversaturated with nurses and I'm worried I won't find anything. I am willing to move up north or midwest in order to be trained properly and gained experience. I really want to find a new grad residency program.

I really need some guidance. It's silly that I need someone to hold my hand but I don't really have anyone to turn to. I plan on speaking to some of the nursing staff at my school in the next few weeks.

Anything helps

thank you

You don't actually transfer your license, you get another one in another state. You can have a license in more than one state. Go to the BON website of the state you wish to have a license in and look up information to obtain a license by endorsement.

After you have received your license in CA, submit that information the new state, pay the fee and wait for them to issue you another license.

You can have licenses in as many states as you wish. You just have to pay the fees and complete any requirements for CEUs and such. CEUs for one state generally will be accepted by other states.

Hi congratulations! I'm applying to nursing schools now, but I've already started looking into Nursing residency programs. I know that my friends when they were finished and had not already taken the nclex, they didn't try to get a medical job. They did something where there would be no commitments breaking. It doesn't hurt to ask for help when you're unsure. I wish you the best. I know NY, Boston, NC, have some good programs. Mayo clinics in AZ, and FL, should look into those. JHU and other Maryland hospitals have good programs. I hope you're ready for the cold...I'm still never ready.

+ Add a Comment