What helps you to understand nursing concepts?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Besides the book providing examples, what other ways help you to understand concepts? The only way I can fully grasp something is if examples are given.

Real life examples from instructors, online videos are often super helpful for me. I find I have to understand the whole patho behind something before I can understand the "nursing" part of it.

You may want to do a literature search for a "concept analysis" paper using the Walker and Avant method.

The Walker and Avant method details all the uses of the concept as well as constructing a model case. Some papers written with this framework will also include a borderline, related, or contrary model case.

Hope that helps!

This may sound really stupid, but bathtub crayons is what helped me grasp A LOT in nursing school.

I would read, take notes, try to memorize things, but it never worked.

One day I was giving one of my kids a bath and she started asking questions about how different systems worked and disease processes.

I whipped out her bathtub crayons and my books and started drawing her diagrams all over the bathtub walls.

I was shocked at how much more I retained by drawing things out and teaching it to someone else.

Sometimes you have to do things a little differently to really grasp it.

Good luck!

This may sound really stupid, but bathtub crayons is what helped me grasp A LOT in nursing school.

I would read, take notes, try to memorize things, but it never worked.

One day I was giving one of my kids a bath and she started asking questions about how different systems worked and disease processes.

I whipped out her bathtub crayons and my books and started drawing her diagrams all over the bathtub walls.

I was shocked at how much more I retained by drawing things out and teaching it to someone else.

Sometimes you have to do things a little differently to really grasp it.

Good luck!

This! Teaching someone else is my go to method of grasping it! Even a pretend audience will help. Good luck! :)

Everybody has their own way of learning. Because my instructor this semester tests heavily off of her lectures, I haven't bothered reading before class because I could be learning information that isn't on the test. I still practice my NCLEX content and questions on other platforms but for class, I listen to the lectures first and foremost. After class, I go through and organize my notes. Then I go through again and add relevant information from the textbook. Then I go through them again and color-code the different sections. Since this can be monotonous, I watch videos of the content as "breaks" from my notes. I use Khan Academy and NRSNG. Getting a visual in addition to the written explanation in the textbook gives me a rounded view on the topics.

+ Add a Comment