What is Nux Vomica? State Board Questions From the Turn of the 20thCentury: An Era Gone By

Have you ever wondered what the early NCLEX exams looked like? We will be exploring a sample of questions taken from a first edition Lippincott (1917 edition) nursing manual. They will give us a glimpse into a nurse's world at the turn of the century. I am excited about sharing this entry in the series “An Era Gone By” with you. Nurses General Nursing Article

Updated:  

New England turned out the first formally trained nurse, Linda Richards in 1873 from New England Hospital for Women and Children Training School for Nurses. In 1873 the first nursing school in the U.S. was in New York at Bellevue Hospital that was grounded in Florence Nightingale's principles of nursing.

Ida Jane Anderson was the first licensed nurse in 1904 out of Rochester. She was on the coattails of the Armstrong Act of 1903 when New York passed the required Registration of Nurses. Once the schools began to create a standard curriculum, regulation followed to become what we know in present day. Regulation and standardization help nursing to be professionalized and make sure that nursing students are taught according to standards that allow them to pass a state board exam.

The content of state board exams are always being updated and it takes a long time to formulate one question. In the book, Lippincott's Nursing Manuals State Board Questions and Answers for Nurses by John Foote, M.D. we can find some questions that nurses in 1917 and after would have studied to pass their state boards.

The book that I have the privilege to own, was once owned by an Edith Westhook. I found some typed notes she used to study along with a nurses' record she scribbled on from Philadelphia General Hospital. There was also a small envelope engraved "The Joseph Price Hospital 241 North 18th St. Philadelphia." I would love to have a conversation with Edith.

Exam Question #1:

"Name two preparations of nux vomica and give the dose of each. Answer -Tincture of nux vomica, dose to minims, extract of nux vomica, gr.1/6 …™".

This question gave me a headache, what is nux vomica? Nux vomica is a plant in which the seed is used as a supplement. Some of its uses are for heart and circulatory disorders, lung disease, Raynaud's disease, etc. This plant contains strychnine and has very ugly side effects such as anxiety, muscle spasms, convulsions, liver failure and death.

Exam Question #2:

"What is the dose of tincture of nux vomica and what is its action?

Answer - Tincture of nux vomica is given in dosage from 8 to 15 minims. It's action is that of strychnia - a stimulant to the circulation, respiration and digestive organs, through its action on the spinal nerve centres" (yes, that is the spelling used in the book).

Exam Question #3:

"Describe method of giving hypodermatic injections.

1. Scrub the skin well, preferably the outer part of the arm, with soap and water, followed by alcohol, or at least with alcohol alone, or paint the skin with ½ strength tincture of iodine.
  2. Place the needle in a tablespoon filled with water and boil it for two minutes over a flame from a stove or gas jet.
  3. Draw the hot water into the barrel of the syringe and return it several times to clean the syringe barrel. Boil the water again, fill the barrel with it, and empty excess from the spoon.
  4. Screw needle into syringe barrel, being careful to touch nothing but the base of the needle.
  5. Place a tablet in spoon, empty syringe on tablet, and draw solution again into the syringe.
  6. Hold syringe needle up and push piston until air is expelled from needle and a well-formed drop appears at tip. PInch up a portion of cleaned skin which does not show any veins, insert the needle with a quick movement under the fold of raised skin, and expel the contents slowly, withdraw needle and gently massage the elevation produced. Wipe off puncture with alcohol.
  7. Rinse needle and syringe in water, followed by alcohol."

Am I glad I don't have to worry about sanitizing a needle and the barrel of the syringe. Of course, there weren't the PPI standards we have today. Gloves are not spoken of, and needless to say, the chance of contamination was high with human error and shortcuts.

We are very fortunate to live in the times that we do, and have the experience and information of all the nurses that come before us to implement into the standards we have now. If you want more early 1900 state board questions, tell me and I will share. I have a whole book of them!

Specializes in Med nurse in med-surg., float, HH, and PDN.

I have the entire course of a mail-order nurses-training course from 1936, presented in 53 Lessons, by The Chicago School of Nursing. Each lesson is followed by "Test Questions For Self-Examination". Then, every fourth lesson, "regular examination" questions are to be answered in writing and then mailed to the school for correction and grading. It doesn't seem that any clinical experiences were required by this course.

Some interesting things from a list of "Don'ts:

Don't bustle.

Don't be fussy.

Don't contradict your patient.

Don't fail in being cheerful under all circumstances.

Don't let your patient see that you are annoyed.

Don't stir medicine with your finger.

Don't taste either medicine or nourishment in the patient's presence. (HA!)

I haven't gone through each lesson, but only skimmed certain parts. It is a real eye-opener!

No Stars In My Eyes said:
I have the entire course of a mail-order nurses-training course from 1936, presented in 53 Lessons, by The Chicago School of Nursing. Each lesson is followed by "Test Questions For Self-Examination". Then, every fourth lesson, "regular examination" questions are to be answered in writing and then mailed to the school for correction and grading. It doesn't seem that any clinical experiences were required by this course.

Some interesting things from a list of "Don'ts:

Don't bustle.

Don't be fussy.

Don't contradict your patient.

Don't fail in being cheerful under all circumstances.

Don't let your patient see that you are annoyed.

Don't stir medicine with your finger.

Don't taste either medicine or nourishment in the patient's presence. (HA!)

I haven't gone through each lesson, but only skimmed certain parts. It is a real eye-opener!

Fascinating! Did the lessons belong to someone you know? I believe my great aunt graduated from this nursing school, but I'm unsure when. It could very well have been around 1936.

This thread is a fun read!

Specializes in School nurse.

I have a "Basic Nursing" textbook from 1955

I haven't read it cover to cover but every time I skim through I find something interesting and amusing.

Stuffed inside the book there is an "Auxiliary Nursing News" pamphlet dated February 1957.

The main article is "Learning to Take Blood Pressure" an the first paragraph reads: "It is possible that you may never be required to take blood pressure. In the home or office, the doctor often prefers to take his own reading. In larger hospitals, trained persons other than auxiliary nurses are usually assigned to take blood pressures."

HA!!

One chapter is titled "Housekeeping Duties in the Hospital" and includes things about caring for flowers which details daily care for cut flowers in vases and even gives instructions for arranging flowers attractively. This chapter also has a section on the care for rubber goods:

Rubber sheets and pillowcases should be hung on bars or put away rolled, as they will crack when folded. Rubber goods should never be hung on a radiator or near any heat. Rubber gloves are rinsed with cod water after use and then turned inside out and washed on both sides with warm soapy water, then rinsed in cold water. Inspect for holes by filing each glove with water; the water will gradually seep out from an imperfect glove. A glove with the tiniest hole should be put away to be mended, as infections could be transmitted through the hole. Before the gloves are put away, they should be carefully dried and powdered, inside and outside."

There is also a section that details the long and tedious procedure for completing a urinary analysis.

And on a similar note, does anyone else watch Call the Midwife? I LOVE THAT SHOW!!!

And if you haven't read the books you should, they are as wonderful and more detailed than the show.

Specializes in CRNA, Finally retired.

Nursing needs it's own historical museum.

Specializes in Gastrointestinal Nursing.
subee said:
Nursing needs it's own historical museum.

That's a fantastic idea!

Specializes in ICU, LTACH, Internal Medicine.
On 2/10/2018 at 9:37 AM, Brenda F. Johnson said:

That's a fantastic idea!

There is one in Philadelphia at La Salle University and International Nursing museum in Scottsdale, Arizona. I'd heard there is a private one in Glendale, Arizona as well.

Here is some more:

https://www.aahn.org/travel-to-nursing-history-site

Not to mention several more excellent nursing museums in Europe, including the first and probably the best one, initially dedicated to the story of Florence Nightingale but offering a whole lot more to see and explore. Once travel restrictions are lifted, it is in London directly on the campus of St. Thomas hospital in the very heart of the city. Another one I love is in Brudges and dedicated to work of Beguines sisters who still run local mental health rehab center.

In London I remember, among many other things, the list with roughly 1890th nursing school coursework which included, among other subjects, cooking which paid specifically painstaking attention to making "medicinal broth" which required breaking bones in beef in pieces with a "club" (wooden mallet of a kind, or so I guess). I bought a card with this recipe and tried it when I got back home. It really makes good "bone" type stock, maybe not so much "medicinal" but just very tasty ?