April 2018 California Cohort

Students Western Governors

Published

Hey everyone, I applied for the April 2018 California Cohort, did anyone else apply? The next cohort after this isn't until August 2018. Anyone know when they'll make their decisions on admissions for April? Hopefully soon!

faeone

6 Posts

I initially applied in August 2017. I was not accepted for the January cohort, so I was automatically entered for the April cohort and was told that I should have an answer by the second week of February.

Specializes in ICU.

Cool thanks! Good luck!

faeone

6 Posts

You too! :)

EEK the second week of Feb that is next week right? I originally applied for Feb cohort but unfortunately didn't make it so I am applying for this cohort...otherwise it could be Aug. My Science GPA isn't as high as the avg... and my Teas score was an 84 and the cut off was a bit higher... my advisor sent these stats...

our February cohort:

Overall TEAS Average: 86.91%

TEAS Reading Section Average: 91.56%

Health Science GPA 3.60

Ugh!

Specializes in ICU.
EEK the second week of Feb that is next week right? I originally applied for Feb cohort but unfortunately didn't make it so I am applying for this cohort...otherwise it could be Aug. My Science GPA isn't as high as the avg... and my Teas score was an 84 and the cut off was a bit higher... my advisor sent these stats...

our February cohort:

Overall TEAS Average: 86.91%

TEAS Reading Section Average: 91.56%

Health Science GPA 3.60

Ugh!

Thanks for that!! I see you have your CNA. Any healthcare experience? Do you have a degree? I have a Bachelors and my EMT and I'm about average with those February stats. And I'd love an answer sooner but I'm not really expecting anything until at least the week of the 12th, I don't know that I'd really call this the first week of February since it's just two business days.

Hey.. yes I have been involved in hospital care, home care post acute and sub acute care... I have an associates in Science/math which basically says I can transfer to a 4 year college. I see you are an emt that's awesome!!! Considering you have a bachelors have u looked into accelerated BSN programs? Azusa offers one but there might be others.... what is your bachelors in? I am thinking of retaking micro with straighterline to boost my gpa... unfortunately they won't consider human nutrition since it's a core class

Specializes in ICU.
Hey.. yes I have been involved in hospital care, home care post acute and sub acute care... I have an associates in Science/math which basically says I can transfer to a 4 year college. I see you are an emt that's awesome!!! Considering you have a bachelors have u looked into accelerated BSN programs? Azusa offers one but there might be others.... what is your bachelors in? I am thinking of retaking micro with straighterline to boost my gpa... unfortunately they won't consider human nutrition since it's a core class

I can't quit my job for 1.5-2 years to do an ABSN program, I have to keep working. is my only option to keep working and attend nursing school. I'm entering nursing after 8 years in public service and ems. My bachelors was in business with a minor in accounting. I was thinking the same - if I don't get in, retake micro, get an A, and that'll give me a 4.0 in science core. I have a 3.62 right now.

faeone

6 Posts

I just spoke with my enrollment counselor yesterday and she said that this week they are preparing for graduation, so to expect responses back by mid February. My science GPA is 3.6 and she said that if I don't get selected then she recommends retaking the TEAS because my reading score was like 76.6%. Even though they say that your TEAS must be a minimum 60%, for California that's a joke. I explained to her that I always have excelled at reading and writing so I was focused on studying the math and science. I mean my English and Language usage was 87.5%. I mean, honestly how could you score almost an A in English and Language Usage if you can't read? She said that if I retook the exam and scored just a few more points higher in the Reading portion, then I would be bumped up to the next rank. I achieved "Advanced" level, not "Exemplary". I am praying that I get selected but after reading this, I feel even more disheartened so I guess I am going to have to study my ass off some more and retake the TEAS. Ugh!!!

Specializes in ICU.

Well you never know so until any of us hear otherwise, you're not out of it. I was a little hesitant to post my stats before the decisions were made because I didn't want to cause myself or anyone else more stress. I was going to wait until after decisions were made.

faeone

6 Posts

I just posted what I was told because I understand how stressful it can be waiting for an answer. They accept 10-12 students each cohort out of 100+ applicants. I am remaining hopeful, but I am also preparing myself for worst case scenario. If I have to retake the TEAS, I have to retake the TEAS.

Specializes in ICU.

Well, nothing this week, which I figured would be the case. Hopefully we'll all hear something by next week.

+ Add a Comment