Has anyone ever tested positive while having a UTI?

Nurses Recovery

Published

I know I have one, possibly kidney infection. I have read it can cause false positives and levaquin almost always causes false positive for opiates. I still have a test pending which usually means it's positive! So sick of dealing with this crap!!

I have had 2 false positives Option 1 which is the ethanol alcohol. Both were determined false positives due to UTI after EtG and peth determined no alcohol levels. I now only do an option that has EtG. To my knowledge the ethanol alcohol is the only test that UTI will cause a false positive on. UTI will not affect the EtG as it is done with an ETC which is the secondary confirmation for alcohol. ETC would be negative even if the billion-dollar chance came true that the EtG was affected by bacteria.

Great.. it was an option 1. Will they be able to confirm on that sample or require blood? It's already been almost a week. Blood would be stupid at this point.

If you are TPAPN and have a good case worker like I do, the steps are ETG and then peth if ETG is positive and they want to allow you to.The steps on both my positives were EtG on the split. After the 2nd even though it too was negative, I requested a peth and consulted with the MRO per my request. He agreed it was probably a chronic UTI situation. My caseworker is very good about working with me, I asked her if we could just eliminate the UTI issue and she granted my request to test only EtG from now on. EtG on the split is usually what they will do next. After the first one I wanted peth right away but was told to relax and trust the process and do the EtG first. My experience from this is that if it takes longer then 6 days to get your Option 1 results, it has gone to confirmation via gas chrom. If it's longer than 10, well the second time I knew we were going to have the false positive option one for alcohol again. Both my positives were .001. caseworker said those are really not even reportable they are so trace. But because the lab reports it as positive they have to follow up. There is no cut off on the urine ethanol so false positives are not uncommon.

Well my test was negative, but it took a while, so im assuming they confirmed it. My urine culture was positive for Salmonella. The health department even called me to ask me a ton of questions. No clue how that happened. But, I've been miserable. It traveled up to my kidneys.. im still on cipro, and now I have a horrible case of bronchitis.. im short of breath... cough so hard i pee my pants, and re-injured my shoulder that I had surgery on 4 months ago. Plus I am going broke and cant find a job. Im feeling like humane euthanasia is sounding really good right now... :(

Thank you for the update I was thinking about you last night. Lord the lab world moves slow.

I only tested positive once & that was as a result of the vivitrol shot they wanted me to take while I was inpatient. However, I live in fear of the false positive to a crazy extent. I have chronic neck & back pain and don't even take advil from fear

+ Add a Comment