Interview

Specialties Management

Published

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hello,

I have an interview coming up for a staff RN position in a few days.

My question is what is your biggest turnoff during an interview. Do you typically know rather quickly during an interview that a candidate is either a good fit, or not a good fit?

Annie

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

Try to be relatively succinct. Don't give one word answers, but try to limit your answers to a few sentences, if possible (unless they're asking you to tell them about a past situation and how you handled it). Recently had an interview where the applicant droned ON and ON and wouldn't actually answer the questions. We are normally able to get through about 10-12 questions during an interview, in under an hour. I think we got through 6 or 8 with her and used up the full hour.

Specializes in ED, ICU, MS/MT, PCU, CM, House Sup, Frontline mgr.

Wear business attire and not scrubs. We understand that staff RNs wear scrubs by the bedside, but it is not appropriate for an interview. Also, a major turnoff is to not use real-life examples. Interviewees that talk in generalities and theory basically are saying "I have no idea. I have no experience with that situation and I am not willing to admit it." One more thing, do not talk about future goals and ambitions that are not related to this position. Yes, we understand that positions can be stepping stones, but a position that offers nothing related to another position that is your dream job or future ambition is not a stepping stone .... it is a waste of your time and ours. Good luck. :)

Specializes in Hospice, corrections, psychiatry, rehab, LTC.

One mistake that a lot of interviewees make is trying to fill the time while interviewers are writing down responses by talking freely. Several applicants have talked their way out of a job offer with things that they have thrown in unsolicited. I advise people to answer each question completely and succinctly, and then shut up. Another thing that trips some people up is that they try to talk immediately after a question is asked, and often the response is not well thought out. Listen to the question, take a few seconds to process it, and then begin your answer after you are sure that you understand the question. If you are not sure, ask for the question to be repeated.

+ Add a Comment