What is it like changing people?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi, i have recently accepted a job as a DSP at a group home for disabled adults. I wanted to try it out before committing to a costly CNA program. A lot of CNA duties are included in training. i.e. utilizing a hoyer, bed baths, tube feeding, and changing briefs. I am a bit worried about changing people is it really bad at first, did you get used to it quickly? This is my first occupation in the medical field so I am very nervous. My ultimate goal would be to be to gain experience at this place (as the pay is very low, $10.25) and later do the CNA class and working as a live-in. But I am just so nervous. How was it your first time around? thank you!

Specializes in SICU, trauma, neuro.

You get used to it very quickly -- it's urine, and sometimes poop. Everyone does it; these people just happen to need help with theirs. Plus we have gloves. :)

I promise you it will be no big deal to you in no time at all. Nobody likes to do it but what you WILL like is in the end there will be a clean, dry, comfortable human being because of your efforts. It really is a good feeling.

thank you both! that really calms me haha Im sure I will be okay as the residents were all wonderful people, I believe I will look past in quickly! thank you again!

All good advice. However changing incontinent adults can be hard. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I never had to do it frequently, so when I did it took me a long time, I made a mess of it, and me and the patient were exhausted.

There are really good You Tube videos for CNA's, RN's, etc., on all aspects of patient care, including changing incontinent adults.

I remember when I first started. You have to understand, before that, I worked in Civil Service as an education counselor, and before that I was an aircraft electrician. So, when I first went into CNA training, I was completely out of my element.

Me and another guy were like partners in our clinicals. He had never been in medical either. I remember the old man we had to go in and clean up. My friend was on one side of the bed and I on the other. He looked and me and said, "Let's just get in there." And I decided at that point, if I have gloves on, I can touch anything.

And it just got very easy after that. Keep in mind that mothers and fathers clean their infants all the time. I pick up poop from my dogs six times a day (three dogs x 2 pooh-walks). Such is life.

And here's my motto (hell, it could be a t-shirt really): A clean orifice is a happy orifice!

Remember that. And don't leave anything behind. Leave it pristine. :)

Specializes in NICU, PICU, PCVICU and peds oncology.

If you can put yourself in your patient's place for a few seconds, it'll really help you to see how these simple things matter. Those patients who are physically disabled but cognitively quite well know that such personal care is an uncomfortable task for both parties. Those patients who have neither physical nor cognitive capacity aren't able to ask for help and can't communicate if they're uncomfortable. Imagine sitting in a wet brief, or one filled with feces and not being able to do anything about it. Imagine knowing that you're emitting an unpleasant odor, but being unable to correct that. I see this part of my job as a kindness I can provide to my patient at a time when there may not be many kind acts occurring.

+ Add a Comment