Actual job requirements of teletriage

Specialties Triage

Published

I have been looking into some tele triage. I am curious if these jobs are an all day or if you only do certain hours since most are at home?

Just basically looking for a layout of the day. Thanks!

thetank

23 Posts

I've been an RN for 23 years, background in pediatrics, home care, family practice, internal medicine. This is my all day job, I work with 4 other telephone triage RNs in a large PCP office.

I have been looking into some tele triage. I am curious if these jobs are an all day or if you only do certain hours since most are at home?

Just basically looking for a layout of the day. Thanks!

I've never done tele triage, but I did look into it. I applied to some tele triage jobs and this is what I found (someone with experience can correct me):

1) Hours depend on where/who you work for. Most, it seems, are for 8 hour shifts. I did see one that was 6-8 hour shifts, depending on how you are scheduled.

2) I've seen Mon-Fri "8-5" positions and positions where the call system runs 24/7; therefore, you might work days, eve, or night shift.

3) I've seen jobs where you work in a call center office and ones where you work from home.

4) It seems you use a "scripting system" that tells you what to say and ask. I'm not even sure where a candidates "experience" comes into play because, from what I hear, you are not allowed to go "off script." Again, maybe someone with experience can clarify this.

I hope that helps. The biggest complaint I see from people is "back to back" calls and feeling micromanaged. Back to back calls would not bother me...because I go to work to work. Being "micromanaged" seems to be they expect their employees to work and to ensure that you are working, they "listen in," look at your screen productivity, and expect you to take a certain amount of calls. Again, wouldn't bother me...because I would be working. There are a lot of people that view "work at home" to mean that they don't have to work, can take care of their kids, and do housework...while "working." The companies, I believe, decided to combat this mentality by "listening in" to calls, watching what you are doing on the computer (not shopping Amazon), and giving you a quota of calls to meet. Sounds fair to me...since they offer the opportunity to work from home!

Cape47

7 Posts

I hope that helps. The biggest complaint I see from people is "back to back" calls and feeling micromanaged. Back to back calls would not bother me...because I go to work to work. Being "micromanaged" seems to be they expect their employees to work and to ensure that you are working, they "listen in," look at your screen productivity, and expect you to take a certain amount of calls. Again, wouldn't bother me...because I would be working. There are a lot of people that view "work at home" to mean that they don't have to work, can take care of their kids, and do housework...while "working." The companies, I believe, decided to combat this mentality by "listening in" to calls, watching what you are doing on the computer (not shopping Amazon), and giving you a quota of calls to meet. Sounds fair to me...since they offer the opportunity to work from home!

Actually, once you have done tele triage for a while, when you are on your 20,000th call and a new "manager" who has zero actual, real world triage experience evaluates your call, that's when micro-managing becomes a thing. The clinical equivalent would be to work in an ER or ICU for fifteen years, and have your supervisor watch every single med pass that you do, all the time, every time.

thetank

23 Posts

I hear you Cape47 - great analogy. Yep, back to back calls are not a big deal...but having someone who has never done actual triage listen in, now that would be a challenge.

Cape47, I can see why that would be aggravating. Of course, everything we do in the ER is "watched." Everything is on the computer. There are chart audits completed. "Scan rates" are monitored..and on and on. We get asked "why did you do x...why did x not happen" etc. So, yea, I understand the frustration. I also think that SOME..NOT all...do not like to be micromanaged because they do not want to work or follow policy. Those employees do exist and would be able to "hide" in the work at home environment, if it were not for "listening in" to calls, watching the employee's computer screen, and setting quotas. Wouldn't you agree?

I even understand poor management. Not just in healthcare, I've experienced it in the Army, warehouse, healthcare, maintenance, and retail environments. Poor managers are everywhere.

I was really just trying to help thetank with some things that I've seen people post about here. Some people are rude and just say "do a search."; however, I was trying to be helpful and give the information that I had. Again, I am sure being micromanaged is frustrating, especially if it is by an inexperienced manager. That being said, it is a complaint by triage nurses; therefore, I was passing that information on to thetank.

DorothyMay

6 Posts

Over 30 years in nursing with half of that in telenursing. I work in a regional ( multi state) call center with 14 other nurses our center is open 24hours/7 days a week. We currently are officed in the building however that is about to change as telework is about to begin. We work rotating shifts.

MargRN, BSN

34 Posts

Specializes in Preoperative and PACU; Med/Surg; ED; Home Health.

Can you share more about your likes, dislikes, how your shift flows?

23 years experience as RN. I worked as cna in nursing school before becoming a nurse.

I'm curious about a position posted for PT telenurse.

TIA!!!

MargRN, BSN

34 Posts

Whoops!

DorothyMay

6 Posts

Can you share more about your likes, dislikes, how your shift flows?

23 years experience as RN. I worked as cna in nursing school before becoming a nurse.

I'm curious about a position posted for PT telenurse.

TIA!!!

Likes: Autonomy, Endless Learning/research ( as I have to keep up on the latest medications since patients call about them, I have to keep up with the latest surgical interventions as patients call with post op and pre op questions)

Dislikes: Inability to plan how the shift will go as you never know what types of calls you may get for example I may get a call regarding minor side effects due to a medication and the next caller may be a mental health patient who has a loaded gun and informs me of his plan to kill everyone in his home and then himself. The next caller may be a woman with anxiety/stress due to her marriage situation.

Some days I feel like I am a 911 operator and other days I feel like I am a marriage counselor

We presently have a high turnover in our unit as many nurses HATE the rotating shifts.

It is a fast paced atmosphere at times many calls coming in at the same time and the requirement to quickly ascertain a callers problem however curiously during national football/basketball seasons the phones can be oddly quiet...UNTIL GAME HALF TIME!!!

thetank

23 Posts

Hi there,

Well, I like it when I actually get to do triage calls. I do not like it when people call us for directions to the office, to schedule office visits, to get narcotics refills, etc. I like the fast pace, I like the challenge of a difficult triage call. Even after doing this for 3.5 years, I still miss face to face contact with patients...but I do NOT miss the craziness of floor nursing. I will never ever return to floor nursing - too much stress, terrible ratios, crazy management. I work 8 AM to 5 PM M-F, and Sat 8-noon every 6-8 weeks or so. Mondays and Fridays are our heavy days, Tues Wed Thurs are a little lighter. You have to have a thick skin because patients can be really rude...but most patients are super nice.

MargRN, BSN

34 Posts

Thank you, DM!!! I'm intrigued enough to look into it. Get some info and share my info.... get an idea of what it is by possibly shadowing. Not for sure.

This position states it's to become a "work from home" position which is also very intriguing. I have an office space at home.

Just very intrigued. Thanks again for insights!

+ Add a Comment