What are new grad programs?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hi all,

I've been hearing the word "new grad programs" form other students and staff at my school. Can someone explain what they are?

I live in LA so could someone point out hospitals here with a new grad program. I'm waiting to take my nclex but I don't know what hospitals to apply to once I pass.

thanks

Specializes in NICU.

New Grad program or New Grad Residency are usually 8-12 weeks long that involve classroom and preceptorship that gives you a good foundation before you are set loose on your own on the floor. Some are specifically designed for a unit (Adult ICU) and others are general like Peds where you get experience in Pediatric floor, Nicu, PICU. You are then placed based on your interest and open positions.

Around here, new grad residencies last a year. You have monthly meetings with your peers and talk out any issues or struggles you're having, and discuss ways to solve those issues. You also have extra education classes to help the adjustment period, and a mentor.

Where do new grad programs take place?

Is it in hospitals you apply to or on a school campus?

thank you for the information

New Grad program or New Grad Residency are usually 8-12 weeks long that involve classroom and preceptorship that gives you a good foundation before you are set loose on your own on the floor. Some are specifically designed for a unit (Adult ICU) and others are general like Peds where you get experience in Pediatric floor, Nicu, PICU. You are then placed based on your interest and open positions.

They are at your hospital. You are hired and getting paid and working the floor. You will just be working with a preceptor for a set period of time and then you will have some days where you do classes. I am doing one now. I have classes a few days every month and I have a preceptor I work with for 90 days. I started out just shadowing for a day to get to know the unit, then took 1 patient, then 2, now I am up to the full load and the preceptor is really just there if I have a question or need some support. Every program is slightly different; best place to find out information is to google nurse residency and the hospital name. That should take you to the information page. There should be a nurse recruiter for the residency program for questions about the program.

They have those sort of programs at the hospital in our town. They're for students who recently graduated from Nursing School. I'm not sure on the specifics but I had a friend do one and its basically a pathway to gaining employment as a RN in the same hospital. Most big hospitals want experienced Nurses or BSNs now and this is a great way for a new grad to gain experience and employment

They have those sort of programs at the hospital in our town. They're for students who recently graduated from Nursing School. I'm not sure on the specifics but I had a friend do one and its basically a pathway to gaining employment as a RN in the same hospital. Most big hospitals want experienced Nurses or BSNs now and this is a great way for a new grad to gain experience and employment

That is what I have been told. I am a new grad and I'm waiting on my pending status for the nclex but I wanted to get information down. I live in Los Angeles and I'm not sure what is the best route for me. At the same time, I want to transfer my license and move to Washington state. I just don't know who to talk to my school doesn't really provide counselors which sucks.

That is what I have been told. I am a new grad and I'm waiting on my pending status for the nclex but I wanted to get information down. I live in Los Angeles and I'm not sure what is the best route for me. At the same time, I want to transfer my license and move to Washington state. I just don't know who to talk to my school doesn't really provide counselors which sucks.

If you are hoping to move to WA, your best bet is to get your initial license in Washington instead of CA and then you won't have to worry about transferring the license. Especially since it is well know that California is SLOW. Plenty of new grad positions to be found out here. I am in Tacoma but also interviewed in Seattle and Olympia. If you already started the process with California, I guess you will just have to see it through and then transfer.

As far as Washington you can easily find new grad residencies at Virginia Mason, Harborview, Swedish, University of Washington -- all in Seattle. Providence has a hospital in Olympia and in the Tacoma and surrounding areas there are Multicare and CHI Franciscan. I am in a residency with CHI Franciscan and really am pleased with it. Good luck!

+ Add a Comment