Career change - *no experience*

Nurses Career Support

Published

I am 24 years old and have obtained a B.S. in Health Information Management from Rutgers University back in 2016. $30,000 and a few years later, I am now figuring out that that particular field really isn't for me. The main factors holding me back are tuition costs and the fact that I still have a few pre-requisities to complete such as chemistry/microbiology etc.

My questions are....

What is the best route for me to take in becoming a registered nurse in the state of New Jersey being that I already have a bachelors degree? Is working really not an option while in an accelerated program? Should I obtain an ADN being that I still have prerequisites to complete? Also, if I decided to move out of state what are the steps to getting your license transferred?

Thank you!

I live in Florida so I am not sure of the New Jersey state laws, but here in FL, you can become a CNA without going to school. Just self-study and apply and take the state CNA exam. I worked as a CNA while doing the accererated nursing program, and because they were in the same lane I think it worked out well. Maybe you should consider it...also I moved from FL to CA and you just have to look up the board of nursing licensing info obtaining that state license. Every state is different, but California just required some docments and pay to obtain another license.

Specializes in Psychiatric and Mental Health NP (PMHNP).

An ABSN is very intense and fast-paced. You might be able to work part-time, but there is no way you can work full-time.

You won't be able to get into any program until you complete your prereqs - ADN, BSN, or direct entry master's.

As for cost, the ADN route is probably the cheapest, but there are also scholarships out there for nursing students. Public colleges are also cheaper than private for state residents. However, you won't know until you get accepted and see what kind of package you get.

Since you have HIT experience, if you can get an IT job in a hospital, they might provide tuition assistance for nursing school and be willing to give you a flexible work schedule.

New Jersey is not a nursing compact state. If you get an RN there, then want to transfer, go to the Board of Nursing website for the state you want to transfer to. That will have instructions.

+ Add a Comment