Choosing a job/shift

Nurses General Nursing

Published

1. Would you choose pedi night shift or general medicine day shift?

• Pedi night shift
    • General Med day shift

8 members have participated

Hi everyone!

My name is Brianna and I am a new grad. I am taking the NCLEX end of February and will start a new job in March.

I have a question to poll: I have 2 job offers (same hospital). One is in pediatrics (my love) on night shift, and the other is general medicine on day shift. Both full time. The night shift has a pay differential that amounts to around $10,000 more per year. BUT I am very much a morning person, usually fall asleep between 10-11pm every night, and I'm very affected (mentally/emotionally) by daylight / having time to be outside. So it would be a big adjustment for sure. I'm also getting married this year (and have 5 other weddings to attend, 3 of which I am in). And I'm a part-time yoga instructor, and planning to remain teaching at least occasional classes. Work/life balance is important to me.

I'm trying to decide which position to accept. I made a pro/con list for each unit, and I'm really torn. I definitely prefer day shift, but I've heard from seasoned nurses that you can learn a lot on night shift. I also really love pedi and would love to start on that unit (it's an inpatient unit).

What are your thoughts & suggestions??

Thank you!!

~Brianna

It is 12 hour shifts, 36 hours/week and self-scheduling, which is nice.

Specializes in M/S, LTC, Corrections, PDN & drug rehab.
Thank you everyone!! I really appreciate all your feedback. It's helpful to get opinions from experienced nurses. I decided to accept the peds position, and while I know the adjustment to night shift will be tough to say the least, I think it was the right decision, and fortunately, I have lots of support at home!

Good luck & I hope the switch to nights goes well for you!

Yes, best wishes as you embark on your nursing career!

You can always search this site for advice on how to bridge to night shift hours.

Congratulations!

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

Tough choice.

Pediatrics is difficult to break into, especially as a new grad. If you are being handed on a silver platter the opportunity to start off in peds and peds is your true love, TAKE IT. You're being given a gift. Learn to suck up the nights for the year or two, then move into a day position when it opens up.

On the other hand, if you are really a non-functional human being after 2000 each night--and there are people who can't work nights to save their lives because of that--then perhaps the day m/s position may be better. After a year or two, you can try to start working over to peds. But only you know if you can really handle NOC.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

ETA: I see you've chosen. Congratulations and good luck!

For me Pedi night shift. For you the day shift because you already have commitments-5 weddings, new husband and a constitution that you have stated needs the mornings...good luck sister with whatever you decide.

+ Add a Comment