OHSU ABSN to PNP 2018

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

Hi everyone!

I applied to both the ABSN (Portland) and ABSN to PNP/DNP program at OHSU for 2018. I am curious about other people who applied to this program and would love to hear stats, experiences, and etc!

I applied to the ABSN and FNP/DNP programs at OHSU, so I know my answer isn't entirely what you're looking for because our specialties are different, but I find this stuff fascinating and am enjoying connecting with other applicants so what the heck. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.82 and a 4.0 in my pre-reqs so far (I have stats, genetics, human development, and A&P I down so far). I've also been working for a low-income public health clinic that serves very vulnerable/underserved populations for the last year and a half, which I think helps. No CNA or MA license or anything though. Curious about any other stats.

I found the application process to be quite easy, outside of the fact some of the essay prompts seemed like they needed a little editing. Just my humble opinion, but found that was the only really big downside. I hear that last year interview invites didn't go out until 4-8 days before interviews, which sounds insane to me, but maybe things will have changed this year? All in all, really excited. Just trying to bide my time until it's closer to interviews. Any preferences on which program you'd prefer, if given a choice?

I applied to the ABSN and FNP/DNP programs at OHSU, so I know my answer isn't entirely what you're looking for because our specialties are different, but I find this stuff fascinating and am enjoying connecting with other applicants so what the heck. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.82 and a 4.0 in my pre-reqs so far (I have stats, genetics, human development, and A&P I down so far). I've also been working for a low-income public health clinic that serves very vulnerable/underserved populations for the last year and a half, which I think helps. No CNA or MA license or anything though. Curious about any other stats.

I found the application process to be quite easy, outside of the fact some of the essay prompts seemed like they needed a little editing. Just my humble opinion, but found that was the only really big downside. I hear that last year interview invites didn't go out until 4-8 days before interviews, which sounds insane to me, but maybe things will have changed this year? All in all, really excited. Just trying to bide my time until it's closer to interviews. Any preferences on which program you'd prefer, if given a choice?

Thanks for your reply! My GPA is a 3.55 (I did poorly in Chemistry but have mostly As other than that) and my pre-req GPA is a 3.95 (I have all the pre reqs except for A&P 3 and Lifespan Development). I have also been volunteering for a clinic that provides healthcare for underserved populations. Most of my clinical experience has come from shadowing.

I definitely prefer the PNP/DNP program over just the ABSN program, but I applied to both in case I don't get into the PNP direct entry program. Around when did they get interview invites?

That's a super good pre-req GPA when you only have two classes left! I did genetics and statistics as part of my bachelor's degree and took A&P I and Human Development last quarter, so while I have a 4.0, I'm still only half done. Enrolled in Nutrition and A&P II right now. It's nice to hear that someone else is applying from a similar situation! Does your volunteer position provide you opportunities to work with kids?

I know exactly what you mean about programs. I think ABSN and later an MSN would probably be better in terms of gaining RN experience, but I hate the idea of reapplying and waiting even longer to get my MSN, so that's my top choice. I'm pretty sure from all of the posts last year that they waited until 4 to 7 days before interviews to let people know. I'm praying it doesn't go that late this year.

That's a super good pre-req GPA when you only have two classes left! I did genetics and statistics as part of my bachelor's degree and took A&P I and Human Development last quarter, so while I have a 4.0, I'm still only half done. Enrolled in Nutrition and A&P II right now. It's nice to hear that someone else is applying from a similar situation! Does your volunteer position provide you opportunities to work with kids?

I know exactly what you mean about programs. I think ABSN and later an MSN would probably be better in terms of gaining RN experience, but I hate the idea of reapplying and waiting even longer to get my MSN, so that's my top choice. I'm pretty sure from all of the posts last year that they waited until 4 to 7 days before interviews to let people know. I'm praying it doesn't go that late this year.

I actually got most of my pediatric experience through shadowing. I have been shadowing for about 6 years in various settings, which allowed me to explore different specialties and ultimately decide on acute care pediatrics. Although my experiences as a nanny and volunteering with kids are what made me first look into pediatrics.

On those forums, were the interview invites sent out in January or February?

Also, I thought I saw somewhere that they look at a science GPA rather than a pre-req GPA, which makes me worried that it includes chemistry. Do you know anything about that?

I don't know exactly when the invites were sent out, since they vary by program, but I remember the 4 to 7 days before the interviews being the general timeline. Based off of the interview dates for the PNP program, I'd be anticipating sometime next week. SO JEALOUS as my interviews would be a month after yours.

I can't confirm or deny the science GPA thing with absolute certainty because my informational session was like five months ago, but the application instructions page says cumulative and science GPA over 3.0, so I'm going to guess that they look at both. The ABSN instructions just say cumulative GPA, so I know they weren't just copying and pasting instructions from one program to the next.

I don't know exactly when the invites were sent out, since they vary by program, but I remember the 4 to 7 days before the interviews being the general timeline. Based off of the interview dates for the PNP program, I'd be anticipating sometime next week. SO JEALOUS as my interviews would be a month after yours.

I can't confirm or deny the science GPA thing with absolute certainty because my informational session was like five months ago, but the application instructions page says cumulative and science GPA over 3.0, so I'm going to guess that they look at both. The ABSN instructions just say cumulative GPA, so I know they weren't just copying and pasting instructions from one program to the next.

Based on the forum posts from last year, could you tell if they sent out rejection emails to people who did not get an interview? Or did they just not hear back?

It's REALLY hard to tell from last year's posts - people speculated and talked about it a lot, but no one ever seemed to post a definitive answer. I think that they probably just don't contact you, as the only documented instance I can find was someone emailing when they hadn't heard back and getting told that all the invites had been sent out. OHSU nursing admissions seems to have a reputation for leaving people in the dark/not being entirely helpful. I haven't experienced this at all, but have noted complaints on other threads. It sounds like the general experience is to get a call about something (interview or acceptance), later receive an email (interview), and finally get confirmation in the mail if you get accepted. Honestly, I'm somewhat terrified I'm just going to sit here and never hear anything one way or another.

It's REALLY hard to tell from last year's posts - people speculated and talked about it a lot, but no one ever seemed to post a definitive answer. I think that they probably just don't contact you, as the only documented instance I can find was someone emailing when they hadn't heard back and getting told that all the invites had been sent out. OHSU nursing admissions seems to have a reputation for leaving people in the dark/not being entirely helpful. I haven't experienced this at all, but have noted complaints on other threads. It sounds like the general experience is to get a call about something (interview or acceptance), later receive an email (interview), and finally get confirmation in the mail if you get accepted. Honestly, I'm somewhat terrified I'm just going to sit here and never hear anything one way or another.

That is scary!

Hi there! I'm applying to the ABSN to PMHNP. I'm hoping for the DNP, as it would open up some more research and public health opportunities in the future. But, two of the other programs I applied for are ABSN-MSN. I'm unsure of my cumulative undergrad GPA, as I took classes across a lot of institutions. I have a 4.0 in the prerequisites, but I still need to take genetics. I work as a research assistant in an Immunology Clinic, primarily working on substance use studies in a population with HIV, and as a personal assistance and support service worker with children with autism. I don't have any nursing certifications.

I think volunteering at a low income clinic is fantastic experience. A local clinic here has a number of people who volunteer who are accepted into nursing, PA, and medical programs. So, I think that's a great choice - for both experience and to "boost" a resume.

Hi!! I applied to the absn to dnp for summer term. I am hoping I get called for an interview and get accepted.

I actually applied to the nurse midwifery program I took A&P 1 and 2 saw someone mention taking 3, I did not see that anywhere as a requirement, nor as a chance for any schools where I currently live. Any info on that would be great! I've also taken statistics, nutrition, and developmental psych, just gotta take a course that has genetics in it and micro.

+ Add a Comment