Chemistry and FNP program

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

I read the syllabus for my Advanced Pathophysiology course in my FNP program. I am wondering how much chemistry is involved in this course. I have only taken Chem 1, and there is no chemistry requirements for my actual program. However, I know concepts of biochem are necessary to understand cellular respiration, fatty acid synthesis, etc. How much Chemistry is actually needed in order to grasp all of these concepts for purposes of pathophysiology in FNP school?

Specializes in MS, Emergency.

I don't know which school you are currently enrolled but I am doing the course right now and I am trying to get familiar with the structural formula of the 20 amino acids and how they differ from their "R" groups. I showed it to a friend of mine who is also doing an NP program from a different school and he asked me if I am studying to be an NP or a chemist LOL

Is it absolutely necessary - no. Plenty of NPs practice and couldn't even tell you what you get when you mix an acid and a base together. But if you want to understand/know a broader range of diagnosis or have a more in depth understanding of pathopohys and treatments then it's useful. Do you want to memorize that you need to give thiamine before glucose to an alcoholic patient, or do you want to know why you need to give it in that order?

Specializes in Psych/Mental Health.

It's not needed. If you did well in pre-reqs and nursing, you will "get" the materials with studying and looking things up on your own.

+ Add a Comment