How to reinforce Pathophysiology on my own?

Students General Students

Published

I start ASU's nursing program on monday.

I just finished my last semester of generals, which included pathophysiology. I've been told by professors and nurses I know, and I have read from post online, that your understanding of pathophysiology is one of the most influential factors in clinical settings both during the nursing program and after graduation.

However, I left patho feeling quite uneasy. I really don't know how I managed a B in that course. If I was asked any information about that class right now, I probably wouldn't be able to answer with confidence, if at all. This was in part because of my bad stress management this last semester, and because it was just much different than anything I'd taken before. Despite the class being the most interesting course I've ever taken.

So, since I've passed the course and got into the program, and don't really have time or the opportunity to retake it. What ways can you guys/gals recommend to reinforce/reteach myself pathophysiology?

Is it just a matter of studying textbooks/patho concept books? Are there online programs? Is it really not that big of a deal, and the nursing program itself will reinforce those concepts as I go along (One could only hope lol)?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice :)

Oldmahubbard

1,487 Posts

Congratulations into getting into your program! You got a B in Patho? Good!

I would start with just one very common disease, how about CHF? Surely there are on-line resources, even those meant for patients, that will boost your confidence. You probably understand it better than you think.

What treatments are recommended, and how do they alleviate symptoms? This is the sort of thing you will be expected to know for clinical.

There is a bunch of free stuff on-line, and even a "pathophysiology for dummies" book, no doubt. And yes, the program will reinforce it.

You should understand it well enough to explain it in layman's terms to a patient. Which you probably already do, but you need to build confidence.

One disease at a time.

Again, congrats.

kaylee.

330 Posts

Specializes in Stepdown . Telemetry.

Yep its about self-learning. Patho and physiology also, are learned in layers. So to truly understand a concept takes further study. The stress of the classroom environment is not where deep learning will likely occur... u can take a course and get the basics to pass the test, but much is lost after the class.

Some people have no inclination for deep learning, so they will not actively do it and can squeeze by this way.

But there is nothing stopping you from studying to understand, beyondf passing a test. IMO it definitely pays off in nursing.

5HT123

3 Posts

Check out the Patho videos on Khan Academy if you haven't yet.

Specializes in Critical Care, Med-Surg, Psych, Geri, LTC, Tele,.

I used to imagine each disorder / disease as a person I knew in real life. For example, one person I knew IRL had uncontrolled HTN. In my mind, I'd see his bloated / fat arteries stressed out trying to pump the large volume of blood and imagine his heart trying to pump the over sized volume of blood. I'd also visualize a water hose full of water and imagine the stress it was under. I could see in my mind, his stressed out kidneys trying to filter this too high volume.

I visualized diabetes as thick sugary sludge trying to make its way through his body-I'm adequately. I visualized his kidneys unable to filter out all the sludge as holes poked in his kidney nephron tubules. I could see in my minds eye how these blown out holes allowed too many electrolytes to spill into his Urine.

I could visualize how a particular med class interacted with his disease process.

That's how I learned pathophys.

+ Add a Comment