Risk Manager in LTC

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Anyone with experience in this field? I've posted this in the LTC forums and have got zero responses.

I've been filling in at the Risk Manager / Staff Development Nurse in our LTC on and off for a few months. I'm currently self-taught. The LTC is a small non-profit with a small group that provides consultant services for a group. The set up is weird.

I have a good general understanding of the position but was looking for more resources or support. I've even looked on Facebook groups but have come up empty.

Can anyone here point me to support groups, organizations or resources?

Specializes in retired LTC.

Might you reach out to someone with that title at a local hospital? They might be able to direct you into some resources as they freq belong to organizations in QA/QI and Risk Management. Joining some local chapter of a group could help.

I actually belonged to such an organization for a while as I was interested in the field before moving on. But it was soooo long ago.

I started googling under Risk Management in Nursing Homes in NJ and stuff started popping up.

I didn't get specific.

Good luck to you - job sounds interesting.

Specializes in New Critical care NP, Critical care, Med-surg, LTC.

I don't know of risk management positions in long term care facilities in my area. I know we have a staff development/ education RN, which I guess would cover the same information, but the only position I know of titled risk management are in hospitals in my area. You might check Safety Resources | AONE for some information. Good luck!

Thanks for the hints. I see a ton of risk management for acute care, but not very much specialized to ltc and a good bit of it was focused on documentation issues.

Sounds like you need to make a blueprint for your new role. Too many positions have nice sounding titles but no clearly defined goals or role clarification. The good news is you DIY it, form your own blueprint. No bureaucracy BS, you are in a position to inspire needed change and to make things great! Just from your title, I know your job entails using your nursing exp to promote safety/& safe care in your facility, to manage infection risks (in general at your facility, and specifically with regard to indiv residents- ie those with IV's, foleys, fragile skin, O2, g-tubes, colostomies, wounds, risk for bleeds, rehospitalization, falls, surgical incisions etc:

No need to reinvent the wheel. Start with the broad basics. think about it in 2 ways (broad & specific). Without using a tedious tool, take 1 resident you know fairly well, stop & just look at them. Ask yourself, if **** hit the fan for this resident what would it be from. Might they fall from all the meds. Desat from empty O2 tank? UTI r/t foley, improper pericare, retention. Skin tears from fragile skin? Constipation from the Norcos. Dehydration in feeders bc they depend on others for all intake? POLYPHARMACY is so huge. are they on more than 1 med for the same thing, why (if colace didn't work get it dc). All the separate vitamin supplements, are they evidence based, can they be covered in 1 vitamin? Can this guy swallow? Are any of his meds on the do-not crush list, but are being crushed?! (that's a huge one). Before you get your broad blueprint down on paper, you gotta zoom in on targets (you know what they are). tackle them broadly at first. Should be able to ask anyone on the floor, who has a foley? Who on oxygen, how much? active wounds? Who has G-Tube? Who are we crushing meds for? (And compare with orders, if there's not one, get one, verify that the meds can be crushed). Think of the basics like that, get some lists going. You'll find deficiencies in those areas I assure you, but before adding more work and re-education for the nurses, help slim down their med pass. Orders should be written liberally, not with specific scheduled times. Specific times only for antibiotics, insulin, schedule II narcs (w/r to timing between doses). Once daily can be AM shift. Twice daily = AM shift, PM shift. and once daily drops or ointments schedule as daily anytime. cleanup the med pass monster and you will free up nurses to do the care they want to do. I have so many ideas for work (LTC RN) but feel pretty powerless. I love that you're reaching out for ideas, that tells me you will be a great leader.

+ Add a Comment