Glasses for working

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Sorry if this seems like a really petty concern, but since my glasses were recently run over by a car, I'm looking for a new pair and want to make sure I get one that will be functional and last awhile. :angrybird5:

There were some glasses that I liked that were round and larger on my face, however I'm concerned that those will slip down my nose easily. I haven't started working as a CNA yet, though I understand the work is a lot of bending over and working fast (so increased sweat could also make the glasses slide down my nose easier).

For those with glasses: do you think the style matters at all? Or will they all be just as comfortable while working? Thanks~

I just bought 2 pairs from zenni optical, $17.50 a piece. That's frames and lenses with anti glare coating. Shipping and all I paid $54. I bought a smaller pair and a slightly larger pair. The smaller pair fit perfectly but, for the larger pair I bought some of those little silicone sticky nose pad things off of Amazon and they don't slide down at all now.

My only complaint is they attract fingerprints and smears way worse than my previous pair, I recommend getting their "anti glare, anti fingerprint" lenses if that's something that would bother you.

Same place I got mine! I think mine were $20. I just can't get over how great the prices are, and I love the new glasses I'm getting so much more than the ones I paid hundreds for! I went ahead and got the anti-glare (why not, when it's that cheap?) and I'm going to order another pair soon, to keep at home.

GD got a pair from Zenni. Great service. She had a question and was able to speak online to a CSR in the middle of the night. All taken care of and the CSR was nice. I think she paid less than $20 total.

My husband and I love our glasses from Zenni. We both a few pair now. I've been ordering from them for years and have never had an issue, unlike the several issues I've had from local eye doctors(wrong RX, wrong frame entirely). I recently ordered a pair with colored transition lens and they are fantastic! My husband has a really strong prescription and his lens from his eye doctor were always very thick and heavy, the ones from Zenni are lightweight and much more comfortable.

As for keeping them on your face, the ears wraps worked pretty well for me.

Style is important me, but I couldn't afford the cat eye glasses that I wanted so I had to choose comfort of style . I'm not saying that you shouldn't get the style you want ,if price is not an issue make sure to get a pair that stays on your face, while your bending or doing all other sorts of things during work .

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
I'm looking for a new pair and want to make sure I get one that will be functional and last awhile.

I've worn round wire framed granny glasses for years. I guess they sort of went out of style, so now I have to special order them from my optician.

My last pair, I got a few years ago were called something like "gun metal glasses" and let me tell you this, opalbee: Several months ago, I was occupied catching a psychotic female patient as she jumped from her bed to the bedside table. She got ahold of my glasses, twisted them, and threw them across the room. The frame was badly bent and both lenses were out.

I was able to straighten the frames well enough to get the lenses back in and wear them for the remainder of the shift. I took the glasses to my optician and he was able to straighten them out as good as new in a matter of minutes.

I am wearing those glasses right now.

Pretty impressive, eh?

Specializes in LTC and Pediatrics.

Get whatever glasses you really like. Use the strap if you are having problems with them falling off the face. I do want to add, that many of the times glasses fall of is because they aren't adjust correctly. I have been wearing glasses for 45+ and have never had any fall off.

Specializes in psych.

You can also get a product called Nerd Wax to put on the nose pads of your glasses. It helps to prevent slipping. My husband swears by this! :)

I've worn round wire framed granny glasses for years. I guess they sort of went out of style, so now I have to special order them from my optician.

My last pair, I got a few years ago were called something like "gun metal glasses" and let me tell you this, opalbee: Several months ago, I was occupied catching a psychotic female patient as she jumped from her bed to the bedside table. She got ahold of my glasses, twisted them, and threw them across the room. The frame was badly bent and both lenses were out.

I was able to straighten the frames well enough to get the lenses back in and wear them for the remainder of the shift. I took the glasses to my optician and he was able to straighten them out as good as new in a matter of minutes.

I am wearing those glasses right now.

Pretty impressive, eh?

That's probably one of the coolest stories I've ever heard, because

1) A crazy woman ripped off your glasses in a fit of rage. Would I ever want that happen to me? Of course not, that sounds terrifying, but it certainly makes for a good story, huh?

2) Every single pair of glasses I've broken we're not repairable, "unless" I used tape that only partially stayed on and also had my glasses only partially staying on one side of my face.

Maybe I should look into getting wire-rimmed glasses. :lol2: My current ones make me look like I'm about to watch the Apollo moon landing, anyways.

You can also get a product called Nerd Wax to put on the nose pads of your glasses. It helps to prevent slipping. My husband swears by this! :)

Oh yeah, I actually saw that on Amazon! I ended up getting these little grip-things for the arms of my glasses, though. I just slide them right on, and, miraculously, my glasses have stayed perfectly on my face!

+ Add a Comment