Emergency Department Triage Policy

Specialties Emergency

Published

Specializes in Emergency.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their ER hospital triage policy. I'm working on writing one and would like to review other suggestions.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.

It's very long because there is a separate policy on each coming presenting issue and what should be done/ordered.

Specializes in Trauma, Teaching.

what system are you using? We use the ESI level 5 system, there is a whole training book and video to go with it. Standardizes care and needs. Check it out! I teach the course to our new staff, and I believe there is an online course that nurses can take as well.

No new grads, no new to ER nurses; best to have at least a year's experience out there.

Level 1: death immenent, coding, MD to bedside immediately

Level 2: shouldn't wait, gets the last bed available, can wait about 10 mins for a doc, while the nurses are getting stuff done

Level 3: 2 or more resources, IV meds, labs, radiology, etc. (there are a lot of things not considered resources even though time consuming, as they are part of the regular exam such as pelvic exams)

Level 4: 1 resource ( xray, splint and sling)

Level 5: med refill (why are you even here??)

Specializes in ED.

We've talked about this a few times here. Do a quick search on the subject and you might find more answers.

+ Add a Comment