Earn my MSN?

Nurses Career Support

Published

Hi everyone,

I've been an RN now for about 4 years. I worked a med/surg unit for my first year as a new grad. Then specialized in Neuro ICU for a year after that and have been working as a travel RN since. I enjoyed travel nursing for the first year but lately I can tell I'm getting the stereotypical burn out that most nurses feel. As I've seen from other threads, I have the same complaints of patients treating the hospital like it's a hotel and mainly feeling like a medication dispenser. I want to use my knowledge/education for more than just that.

I'm in the process now of considering going back to grad school and furthering my BSN into a MSN as a Nurse Educator or Nurse Practitioner. What's holding me back is the fact that it's costly to go back to school. I'm still paying for undergraduate loans like $50,000 dollars worth...I'm not sure if it's worth the sacrifice to go back and put myself in more debt. Also, I recently got engaged. My fiance is in the military. We want to get married and both have hopes of starting a family next year since I will be turning 30. It's strange but I always wanted to start having kids once I'm 30...If we do have children, it will be most likely me raising/staying home with them since he will be deployed for six months at a time. I don't know how much time this will allow me to be able to pursue a degree while raising a child virtually by myself (well, at least while he is deployed). I guess I just worry that I'm taking on too many things at once and military life is hard enough without adding on that stress.

Currently, my fiance is deployed so I headed south for the winter since we are stationed in the North East. My travel assignment ends this Spring and as the new year approaches I I'm in the midst of deciding when I get back home if I should try and find a job that consists of something outside the hospital and be content with that. Or should I go back to school even if I do get pregnant while earning my Masters?

Sounds like you have a lot going on. Is there a rush to do it now? Most masters programs prefer you finish in a certain time frame. I'm going back in my 40's and my children are all school-aged now and I think it's perfect! I will make my last student loan payment this spring and pay cash for my new education, so it's a win-win for me. I would have LOVED to have done it sooner, but family was more important to me when I was I younger. I will NEVER regret those years ever.

Edit: Family is still important to me, but as children age their friends become super important to them. :)

+ Add a Comment