Science classes required for the TEAS Exam?

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Hi, everyone!

I've read from quite a few different people that they recommend taking Chemistry and A&P before taking the TEAS exam, but after purchasing a study guide, I wonder if it's necessary? I don't plan on learning SOLELY from the study guide- rather, I plan on expanding what I know about each topic by doing more research online to "beef up" my knowledge base. I've also bought a second book filled with JUST practice TEAS exams, and it seems like the questions asked reflect the points in the study guide.

My aim is to be able to apply to nursing school by the end of the year, assuming my school allows me to take chemistry as a summer course. They will look at the higher TEAS score that you make, which gives me a sense of security (having two tests), although if I scored high enough on my original test then I'd like to take a deep breath and focus on my GPA.

I'm glad I had taken almost all of my science before I took the TEAS. I was able to score in the 90s, which made me more competitive. But if you have a solid study plan, then go for it!

I'm glad I had taken almost all of my science before I took the TEAS. I was able to score in the 90s, which made me more competitive. But if you have a solid study plan, then go for it!

Did you happen to have any study guides when you took the exam? Do you know if the questions on the exam matched at all with what was in those study guides? It might be hard to know if what you knew on the exam was from the study guides or class, but I thought I'd ask. :bookworm:

Maybe it wouldn't hurt if I study extensively with my review guide, and then paid for a practice test online to see how well I'm doing. :nurse:

I'd personally say wait to take it after you have finished your sciences. The science section is heavy A&P from what I hear and there is so much to the human body. There was someone on YouTube (BlossomWithJessica) who got a 95 on the TEAS without taking A&P.

If you get two tries I would not risk going into the first one without a solid foundation. In case you do not do well the first time around then the second one is your last attempt and the pressure is really on. My school only accepts the first attempt on the exam so I am going to be doing everything I can to practice away. I built my solid foundation and thus far it has paid off with my GPA.

My friends used the study guide from ATI, mometrix, and the two practice tests online from ATI in varying combinations. They said the study guide was just that and not to rely just on what you learn from that (for the science section).

If you are able to, slow things down some and focus on understanding the information. Give yourself the best chance. You can study Reading, English, and Math now and do the science while you take A&P. Whatever you decide best wishes!

most programs require you to have those classes before you start, such as A&P 1 and A&P2, you usually can't take together, or you will have to take anatomy and physiology together. Then you usually need microbiology, which u can't take if u haven't taken chemistry. in my area they only take your first score if you do an associates and most universities allow you two tries, it all depends on where you live. Some other schools have unlimited tries. Check the =criteria of the schools you are applying to just to be safe. PS when many people apply they apply to several just to be safe. i said all that to say i don't think it would be a good idea, but it depends on the amount of tries the school require u to take it. good luck.

Specializes in Neonatal Nurse Practitioner.

I took the TEAS V several years ago, so the new version may be different.

I learned everything on that test with the exception of the A&P section in high school. And I went to high school in a state that isn't known for its academic rigor. So at the minimum, I suggest taking A&P before take the TEAS, but the more classes you've taken, the better.

You can take the TEAS without taking A&P first, but it's going to be harder. You will essentially need to teach yourself a lot of what you'll learn in A&P. The questions I got on my exam weren't as detailed as one might go into for A&P, but I was asked about certain hormones or specific glands and their function. You'll have to know things like what type of cell is responsible for breaking down bone or what prolactin does or what type of enzyme breaks down a carb.

Edited to add:

And the study guide is a good starting point but it will not be sufficient for learning all you need to know for the science section. The study guides give a good overview of the systems and general concept, but you WILL need to know specifics and you'll need a good understanding of how the body works. At the very least, knowing the rationale and concepts behind how each system works and connects with each other (as you learn in A&P) helps you be able to reason and rationalize through questions that you don't know automatically know the answer to.

You'll want to use additional resources like Khan Academy.

Thanks for all of your comments. I think it probably will be best for me to just wait until I've taken my science courses. I'll have plenty of time to study this way. :up:

Specializes in Operating Room.

When I was applying to nursing programs I had to take the TEAS for one program and the HESI for another. It was required that all science courses be completed before applying and taking the tests which included A&P 1 and 2, chemistry, and microbiology. I think having the courses completed really helped. I did not review a study guide before the TEAS but I did purchase the HESI study guide.

If your program allows you to take the TEAS before having these programs complete, when do you take them? During the nursing program?

When I was applying to nursing programs I had to take the TEAS for one program and the HESI for another. It was required that all science courses be completed before applying and taking the tests which included A&P 1 and 2, chemistry, and microbiology. I think having the courses completed really helped. I did not review a study guide before the TEAS but I did purchase the HESI study guide.

If your program allows you to take the TEAS before having these programs complete, when do you take them? During the nursing program?

I spoke with an advisor, and she basically has me set up to complete my science courses by the end of this year, and by that time I should have all of my pre-reqs done. The applications for the fall 2019 start are due on February 1st of 2019, and I would take my TEAS test right before then, in January. I suppose I don't know for sure if I can take them whenever I want, but the school didn't specify that that was the case anywhere on their website or nursing application. I assumed my advisor wanted me to take the TEAS before I apply because she knew that it would be best if I had taken my science courses.

+ Add a Comment