Is nursing for me

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I got Cs in my micro anatomy and physio but I got admitted to the absn program. I heard that the worst students can be good studebts. I'm thinking about doing volunteer work at a hospital or clinice to see how I like it

Well, nobody knows anything about who you are as a person or how you handle stress. I and nobody else here has any idea if you would make a good nurse. But anatomy and physiology is a really important class and you will need to know that information throughout nursing school and while working as a nurse. Your grade isn't important but it's important you learn the material so you might want to get studying.

Based on your previous posting history, I'm not sure nursing is the career for you. The fact that you got into a ABSN program doesn't mean much (IMO) when it's a for-profit school that's in the neighborhood of $80k (not to mention that you don't even know how to pay for it). Your grades aren't very strong, either.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you want to be a nurse.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

See, you should decide 'if you'll like it' BEFORE enrolling in an expensive, for-profit school. That is the mature, sensible approach.

The school is nonprofit. the cost to attend is 80,000 for the whole program but I get 10,000 dollars worth of financial aid grants. therefore I need to borrow 60,000 grand to attend.

Yikes, that's a lot of money to have to borrow. Since it's an ABSN program, do you have student debt from your first degree too? That's what scared me away from the ABSN programs in my area. I have to agree with meanmaryjean - you probably want to be 100% sure you're on the right path before you end up on the hook for repaying $60k.

The school is nonprofit. the cost to attend is 80,000 for the whole program but I get 10,000 dollars worth of financial aid grants. therefore I need to borrow 60,000 grand to attend.

What school is this? My state school is $25k. I find this difficult to believe.

What resulted in you getting a C in both A&Ps and in Micro? Because the issue has to be fixed before you can hope to make better grades in harder classes. You'll also want to spend time on learning A&P well before you start because it's considered the main foundation for you nursing courses. Poor students can become great students, but it takes time, effort, and motivation. And it might take more time than you have during an ABSN.

And 80k for an ABSN is a bit iffy to me. The two I'm looking at are like 12-15k for tuition. The private school near me, which everyone views as fairly expensive, has their ABSN for around 35-40k. Still way over what I'd pay, but far less than 80k.

my first was like 8,000 but I paid that off l;ong ago.

I would go with volunteering at a hospital first to see if you like it. $60k in debt is such a large amount for something you aren't sure of. Cs aren't the best grades, but some nurses I know had a C average in theory but excelled in clinical. Ultimately your grades don't matter as long as you're passing, but you have to understand the material in order to excel in clinicals and pass the NCLEX. I would do some soul searching and volunteering before committing.

The worst students can be good students, but it won't mean a thing if you can't pass the classes.

Don't go 60k in debt for a BSN. You'll make a dollar an hour more at most. You need your BSN for large teaching hospitals, but they will usually hire you with an ADN as long as you are enrolled in a transition program. You can do the whole thing online and the Hospital will help you pay for it. My whole ADN program costed less than 10k (I was in district and lived at home but still you get my point).

This probably isn't the most ethical idea, but if your not sure, and you know you can't get into an ADN program (they are usually more competitive) try using your financial aid and going for a semester. You might like the work once you start clinicals and learning skills. Volunteering won't give you an idea of how nursing will be, but then it's really not like school does either.

Some ADN programs have guaranteed admission if you score high enough on HESI or ACTs. If you're a good test taker and just not as great at sciences that may help you.

Nursing is not something you can do just for the money, your have to want to do it. If you drop out of the program after you take loans your stuck with debt and no degree. So if you pay for this program you had better know you will finish it (and I don't care what everyone else is saying I thought A&P was the hardest class I ever took). You can always get a job at a non-profit or rural hospital to get a big chunk of your debt forgiven.

check out

Complete Guide to Student Loan Forgiveness for Nurses | Student Loan Hero

If youre willing to work in underserved populations you can get a lot of your debt forgiven, also take as much government loans as you can. Private loans are harder to get rid of. Also remember if you don't pay back your student loans you can be reported to the nursing board.

+ Add a Comment