Stony Brook Psychiatric NP -online

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

I hesitated with starting an exclusive online PMHNP program but I am thrilled to start such a dynamic, flexible program. We are a military family stationed overseas and the School of Nursing has bent over backwards to help arrange all our meetings (traditionally done at the University) via Skype. I'm in the 2012 Psych NP cohort slated to graduate 2015 and would be happy to answer any questions about the program, process, etc for anyone interested and would love to virtually introduce myself to my classmates. All the best!

Keri

I am messaging people left and right about this, and I am hoping to find an answer here. Background, I worked part time through ADN nursing school, and it was extremely difficult for me to do so, but it's because I obsess over details. My class also had a 50% passing rate, if that gives you a clue about the program. Anyway. I am a NY'er, my first degree was actually from SUNY Plattsburgh. I saw the PMHNP program that Stony Brook is offering.

Well without further ado, the question is, how convenient is it to work full time as an RN, and get through this program? By convenient, I mean, being able to work, and study, and not be sleep deprived, nothing else. I am not talking about going out every other weekend, or spending social time with family. Just work and study, like a freakin ant! lol Also can a person extend the program for 4 - 6 years? I hope this doesn't sound strange, I just don't really know how NP programs work.

I just graduated from Stony Brooks PMHNP program. I ended up taking a break and graduated in 3 years. The only downside is that your clinical courses have to go in order and you cannot do clinical during the summer session.

I personally did not work full time during the clinical portion, but I know many of my classmates that did. It gets tough at times, but you can extend it to 4 years I believe is the max.

@helloeverybody, Sorry I cannot PM

Dr. Sprung is in charge of the program right now. I know we had a special grant and some students chose to do independent study for "youth at risk." I can't imagine in your second or third year they would not be open to an independent study. You also get to pick your own clinical locations so if you are interested in treating victims of war you may be able to get into the VA or a community health clinic or possibly a psychotherapist that does therapy with that population.

They do have a list of preceptors and agencies that have taken Stony Brook Students in the past. It really is up to you to secure a preceptor and a possible back up if something goes wrong. It can take awhile if the agency requires a contract with Stony Brook. I was out of state, so I was left to my own devices as far as making the phone calls and networking to try to find a willing preceptor.

I would recommend you do floor nursing in psych. It comes in handy especially for assessment skills and being familiar with the medications. However, like i said, other students worked full time and graduated in 2 -3 years. Now that I think about it 4 years was the "part time plan."

As far as the course work, it wasn't too hard. The exams are pretty much "open book" however you need to make sure you do the reading and buy the study guide that goes with the main psych book. You do a handful of papers as well as full assessment write ups. As far as clinical hours go, it is 120 hrs per semester for the 1st two clinical semesters and 180 for the last two.

120hrs = about one, 8 hr shift per week for 15 weeks. So i think it is very doable if you work 3 12's shifts for your regular job.

Also once a clinical semester there is a mandatory on campus day at Stony Brook campus. They are now extending it to two days because honestly spending all that money if you are far away was a waste to go only for the day. They do presentations, network with classmates. We also had hired actors to interview and was videotaped (don't worry you pass as long as you show up!)

Overall, I'm happy with the education and Dr. Sprung does everything she can to help!

Thank you so much for all the information. I am a bit anxious in committing to a program before I cross my T's and dot my I's in regards to all the details. I have people telling me finding a preceptor made some people drop out of their NP programs, not stony brook people, and my own thoughts of loans, and my need to work full time, which I know you addressed, but I still need some information. Even the Stony Brook website doesn't have a date for any info sessions, its all TBA. Anyhow, I am continuing my own research on this, and even considered buying a membership here so I can search for comments like yours in chronological order.

I'm in this program right now and it's excellent. I have been able to work fulltime throughout the program. Message me if you have any questions.

LaraRN86,

Would I be able to do the program (e.g., clinicals on weekends) if I work from 8-4 weekdays or would that depend on the preceptor's available schedule?

Thanks!

LaraRN86,

Would I be able to do the program (e.g., clinicals on weekends) if I work from 8-4 weekdays or would that depend on the preceptor's available schedule?

Thanks!

Hi,

How's the program going? I'm starting my application for online program this summer, but a little anxious about it, since I've never tried online classes before. Just want to know some few insights from you on how the program/ classes go.Thanks so much!

Specializes in Utilization management, psychiatric-mental health.

Hi LaraRN86, I am interested in applying. Can you message me the following information:

Is it really hard to find your own preceptor? I'm on the ACT and work a regular 9 to 5.

Tuition: is it something I can't pay for myself? Can I take two classes a second semester?

Do I have to take classes and do clinicals simultaneously?

Do you recommend me going into inpatient psych? I never worked inpatient only outpatient.

Are they strict with the goal requirement?

Did you feel prepared for the certification exam?

Have you ever applied to Hunter psych np program? I

If you had to do it all again, would you go back to Stonybrook?

Are the online classes extremely difficult like you are able to manage family and children duties?

We're you able to find a job afterwards?

Have you heard anything about your application? I applied too and received an informal email on 3/9 about my acceptance.

Have you heard anything about your application? I applied too and received an informal email on 3/9 about my acceptance

+ Add a Comment