Mandatory flu shots????

Nurses COVID

Published

It didn't dawn on me until just right now, don't ask me why, that my choice of NOT getting a flu shot will NOT get me into a nursing program. The director at my school of choice basically stated "it is a requirement that you receive one, however you can sign a declaration that you do not wish to receive one." Then I asked, "would that inhibit my chances of getting into the program?" She replied, "well, the facilities in which we work with it is required due to you working with elderly clients; If you do not wish to get the flu shot perhaps you should look into another career."

*****?? (excuse the language) I have worked in nursing homes, health centers, private duty, home health agencies, visiting nurses association, hospice AND THEY NEVER REQUIRED me to ever receive or even ASKED if I have obtained a flu shot!!! (mid 90's)

So, anyone please tell me my dream of becoming a nurse is already dead because I REFUSE to get a flu shot???!!! seriously??? I am so upset right now!!!

Specializes in School Nursing.
Good day:

Thank you for the encouragement and for sharing.

For me, unless a given medical treatment works 100% of the time causing no damage to the human being who would take the treatment, the treatment should be a choice -- freedom / liberty..

One could make a similar argument for or against seat belts and child car seats. Does a baby's car seat offer 100 percent protection in the case of an accident? Can you guarantee the child won't be injured by the car seat? Can you guarantee the child will survive unscathed? If not, should we even bother with the car seat??

Is there a chance the seat will actually contribute to injury or death??

Specializes in allergy and asthma, urgent care.
One could make a similar argument for or against seat belts and child car seats. Does a baby's car seat offer 100 percent protection in the case of an accident? Can you guarantee the child won't be injured by the car seat? Can you guarantee the child will survive unscathed? If not, should we even bother with the car seat??

Is there a chance the seat will actually contribute to injury or death??

Good analogy. Not getting the flu shot has the added bonus of potentially causing harm to others if a person does not get it. You may survive the flu, but the infant or LOL you inadvertently cough on might not.

Well I'm the odd one out I guess. I dropped out of nursing . I have an autoimmune condition where I cannot receive vaccinations ..oh well onto another career !

Specializes in Adult Internal Medicine.
Well I'm the odd one out I guess. I dropped out of nursing . I have an autoimmune condition where I cannot receive vaccinations ..oh well onto another career !

Good luck.

Out of curiosity, what AI condition?

Auto immune mediated anemia and asthma (secondary) and celiac disease. My system is just too fragile for vaccines and I thought I would just be able to wear a mask instead. but the laws have changed now :(

Specializes in Critical Care.
Auto immune mediated anemia and asthma (secondary) and celiac disease. My system is just too fragile for vaccines and I thought I would just be able to wear a mask instead. but the laws have changed now :(

Autoimmune diseases are not a reason to avoid influenza vaccinations, they are actually a known subgroup for whom influenza vaccinations are even more important than in the general population.

Specializes in Anesthesia.

Just to clarify there are no states or universities that require vaccinations with a valid medical exemption.

+ Add a Comment