Bending and Breaking the Rules in Nursing

I readily admit I have either bent or broken some rules that nurses are supposed to stringently uphold. However, I hope I'm not alone when I say that some of these rules seem so cold, bureaucratic and alien. If breaking a rule will make a patient's day a little brighter, if only for one moment, I will toss bureaucracy aside and do something that is normally forbidden. Specialties Geriatric Article

I believe rules can be bent at times. Heck, I feel that some rules can even be outright broken as long as doing so has brightened someone's day.

Billie is a pseudonym for the septuagenarian nursing home resident whom I first met seven years ago when I was a brand new nurse in long term care. She was a strikingly pretty model during her youth, and even as an elderly woman with a terminal prognosis, she still maintained a whimsical cuteness and a stylish flair through tasteful choices in makeup, haircuts, clothing and jewelry.

Billie received hospice services because her physician did not expect for her to live another six months due to advanced congestive heart failure. Although she barely stood five feet tall and weighed no more than 100 pounds, her lower extremities were chronically wet, weepy, heavy, discolored, swollen, and resembled crude elephant legs. Diuretic medications did not help to pull the extra fluid off. Neither did pressure wraps, sodium restrictions, or keeping the legs elevated. Keeping her comfortable was an uphill battle.

She suffered from mild cognitive impairment, but was very well-versed regarding her dietary restrictions. One day she asked me, with the impression of defeatism stamped on her face and a sense of sorrow prominent in her tone, "Will I ever be able to eat a hamburger again?"

My dark brown eyes made contact with her pale blue eyes. I realized some of the things that I, a young and reasonably healthy adult, take for granted are small pleasures that many elderly nursing home residents will never enjoy again. Most, if not all, of these people will never take another vacation to a faraway city, state or country. Some will forever lose the ability to walk. Others will be robbed of their ability to talk after having a stroke. Still, others will never be able to enjoy a tasty meal due to dysphagia, feeding tubes, pureed textures, restrictive diets, or the notoriously bland foodstuffs commonly served to institutionalized elders.

Some Rules Were Made To Be Broken I did something I should not have done. I broke a rule. During my lunch break I visited a local fast food joint and ordered a hamburger with extra tomatoes. Since Billie spent the vast majority of her time in her room due to depression, smuggling the burger to her was an easier feat than I had expected. Her eyes lit up with joy and anticipation.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she exclaimed. She kept her door closed and picked at the burger for several hours, eating the fixings individually before finally polishing the sandwich off. This was the first hamburger she had eaten in several years.

Billie died a couple of months later. She passed quietly, serenely, on her bed in the nursing home surrounded by the hospice nurse, a nursing student, and myself. She had two attentive adult children who visited frequently, but they did not want to be present during her final hour.

I broke a rule by supplying an elderly resident under my care with an unhealthy food item. But if it alleviated some of the bleakness of her existence during her final days on earth, I feel no shame for doing what I did. To every rule there's an exception.

Specializes in LTC,Hospice/palliative care,acute care.
Just a student question here. Why does LTC have a rule about food items for patients whose care is being managed by hospice? I don't get it? What's the rational
In my LTC even though the resident is on hospice they are still under the care of the physician in the nursing home and he can concur or not with any hospice recomendations. As far as dietary restrictions we,too have gotten much more liberal however we have (and continue to admit) more and more younger residents with multiple co-morbidities and diet continues to be a focus for their docs.These residents are all full codes and as non-compliant as they can be.:banghead: I don't get it-all we can do is educate,provide the appropriate diet and walk away.I get a kick out of seeing what some of the folks fill their plates with in the independent dining room.And then I always see them later at the snack machine for the salt licks and sugar highs.

I have done this several times. It is a totally awesome feeling to see those residents eyes light up over an egg sandwich, cheesburger, chocolate cake ect.

Yea for you! I do it too...there's a time to bend the rules a bit! What's the point of putting the patient on an 1800 ada low cholesterol diet if they won't eat for 3 days? It's usually an ethnic thing...they don't like our American food, so I will tell families bring in food from home for the patient so they'll eat something! Gotta get a doctor's order upon transfer to CYA.

Oops I have been known to break a few...lets see there was once that pair of really furry slippers being worn by my CCU DNR/DNI patient who wanted to see his dog one last time--of course, dogs are not allowed, thank goodness the slippers didn't bark during their visit. Or the trip to the 24 hour store so my intubated (yes I knew he couldn't taste) CCU patient could have his last hours of oral cares include a local brewery concoction--nursing involves caring for the family as well as the patient. And of course, the trip to the morgue for my patient who at 79 had needed knee surgery because she slid into third playing softball with her family: if the trip to the morgue includes a incline, the patient should get to have a last gurney ride down the incline...Wheee! She would have loved it.

These rules were broken because nursing is relationship based and treats the whole person, not just their medical needs!!

I read a lot of the responses here and was surprised by a lot of the posters stating that they "feared losing their jobs" for bending/breaking the rules.

I can say one thing, I'm certainly glad I DON'T work in your facility, I couldn't work in a place where the mgt was more concerned with "rules and regulations" then human decency.

Think about it, if you were in some of these people's place, wouldn't you hope that someone would "break" the rule for you?

The one example that I thought was completely RIDICULOUS was the hospice patient, very near death having dietary restrictions, that is the most asinine thing I've ever heard, wouldn't want to be their patient.

Also, bringing a beloved pet in to visit is commonplace, don't think you're going to be fired.

For all the spineless nurses out there who fear breaking or bending rules, just think, put yourself in the patient's place for just one day. . .

Specializes in LTC.

I have a similar story. Stick it where the sun don't shine if you think its against any rules.. lol

I had to work thanksgiving and the day after thanksgiving last year, so I got to take whatever was leftover from thanksgiving the day after for dinner to work. I took a plate of food and a slice of homemade apple pie Paula Deen's recipe(filled with butter and sugar.) it looked so good crisp applies with a crumb topping and the lattice crust.. and it was the last piece too.

One of my residents was weepy that she wasn't home with her family this year, and that it was going to be her last thanksgiving. I gave her the usual TLC that we give and spent a few minutes with her and went on my merry way. A couple hours later I went to the employee lounge to heat up my dinner and I thought.. "I'm going to bring this piece of apple pie to her. I am sure I will have many more pieces of apple pie in my lifetime.. I can spare this one." So while my dinner was heating up I brought her the piece of apple pie.. and a little cup of vanilla ice cream to go with it. She burst into tears and was so so happy. I went into give her meds later on and asked her how the pie was shes like "I ate every little morsel on that plate and it was delicious and made this dreary day so much brighter."

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych.
For all the spineless nurses out there who fear breaking or bending rules, just think, put yourself in the patient's place for just one day. . .
I agree with the points you've made, but I wouldn't go so far as to refer to nurses who fear breaking the rules as 'spineless.'

The harsh reality is that management at many workplaces will start the process of progressive discipline if it is discovered that a nurse broke a rule, even if it brightened a patient's day. Progressive discipline ends with termination of employment, and I do not blame the nurses out there who want to hang onto their jobs in this sluggish economy where nursing jobs are becoming harder to find.

I've bent and broken a few silly rules for the sake of the patient in the past, but I tread more carefully these days.

Specializes in everywhere.

I have "bent" the dietary rules for my patients in the past as well. On my unit in the hospital we regularly received overflow oncology patients. I did get written up several times and many verbal warnings, but if one of my oncology patients requested a particular food item, I went out of my way to make sure that they received it. One time, I had an elderly, dignified gentleman that was an oncology patient, his family were always present and the kindest people you could ever run across. This gentleman's wife mentioned one day that he really loved red and black seedless grapes. The next day when I came on duty, they received two large bags of freshly washed and refrigerated (he preferred them cold) red and black seedless grapes.

As his disease progressed and the end was near, there were many times I saw his wife squeezing the juice from the grapes into his mouth. If that is all it takes for a patient and family, then of course, I would do it.

That was just one example of "bending" the rules. The gentleman was not on any dietary restrictions, just "meals as tolerated" and the previous nurses deemed it safer for him to receive a soft, bland diet. UGH.

Specializes in everywhere.

I forgot to add that I did speak with the attending physician and he said to go for it! He told me years later that he appreciated they way I treated his patients, that his patients and/or family would tell him that they enjoyed having me as their nurse. That was a heart warmer.

Specializes in Emergency Medicine.

Count me in for breaking similar rules for similar causes ... A true glimpse of excellence in the ART of Nursing.

... Alan.

I agree that rules are an absolutely necessary but they have to be bent at times. I think what you did was done out of love and compassion. I know that bringing a smile to my residents face is one of the most rewarding things. Just knowing that if for only a short time they were happy.

It becomes necessary at times to break away from the bureaucratic structure of the nursing facility in which you work in order to fully exercise your duties as a nurse; duties which transcend the the physical workplace, but, reside instead in the shared understanding of nursing ethics, specifically beneficence and autonomy.

Cheers.