Herzing University FNP program?

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

This program is now CCNE accredited as of yesterday. I was wondering if there is anyone who is currently in this program or if anyone has any opinions on it (besides the "FNP should not be online" opinions). This program seems to be something that could work well for me and is less expensive than other programs I have looked at; however, they are fairly new and this makes me a little nervous. Anyone know anything?

Submit Your Herzing University Review Today!

Tell us what you think of Herzing University.

Specializes in Nephrology.
I'm from rural MN, and also had spoken with an admission rep from Herzing over the summer. I didn't pursue it any further because I had some of the same concerns as others had posted about. Did you finish the program yet? Were you able to find enough preceptors now? I would be concerned about that as I do live in a rural area...I am applying to Brandman as well, but the thought of flying out to CA 7 times over the next 3 years is unappealing...

I did find enough preceptors in the end, but it was scary at times not knowing if I would be able to continue or not. As far as I know, they are still not helping locate preceptors and 51% of your hours need to be with a NP, the others can be PA/MD/DO. Unless you have connections, this can be pretty difficult to do.

Can anyone tell me about the Family Nurse Practitioner Program at Herzing? I am thinking about applying this Spring and was wondering how the program is and anyone's thoughts Thanks in advance

It is a work in progress. The pass rate for the boards seems to be about 60% at this time. I did well, but only because I spent a lot of time self teaching. Since then, they have added more resources to aid in the success of their students, but the people who I know who are still in the program are still not real happy.

That's not to say that you cannot graduate as a competent entry level NP, but in order to do so you must be driven learn on your own.

Thanks I am trying to decide between them and St. Joseph's college. I am sure with both you will have to find your own preceptors

Herzing University Online is having an informational session on November 18th, 2014. They are supposed to talk about their online BSN and MSN degree programs.

Specializes in Geriatrics/family medicine.
Thanks I am trying to decide between them and St. Joseph's college. I am sure with both you will have to find your own preceptors

that is true been reading other posts , for both these schools and most online schools you must find your own preceptors

I was in Kaplan university family nurse practitioner program in march 2014 and had to stop in October 2014 for some family issues. Some nights I was up 2 and 3 in the am and had to be up at 6 getting ready for work so I do understand some dedication involved and self teaching. I work full time and have 3 kids. I am debating whether to reapply to the program next year due to my credits or continue to research other school. My biggest thing is writing papers. Its not ideal to me to write 2 five to 10 page papers in 1 week. Are there any writing labs to help with papers. Do you stay in contact with classmates. I really want to know how your experience was/is.

Just Keep Swimming

How was the core classes and major classes as it relates to writing papers. What did the class work/ test consist of. Papers all the time?

Yes. Mostly papers. Some tests, and they have now added the requirements of taping and submitting your advanced assessment.

I am currently in the Herzing FNP program. I live in CA, but just found out we may be moving to WA state. Can I practice in WA state if I graduate from Herzing?? I know that Herzing is not accredited in WA for clinicals. But does it matter once you graduate what State you practice in? Or do I need to transfer schools. Thank you in advance.

It depends on the requirements for the BON in WA. I would check with them

Thank you!

I was wondering if any one has the advanced pathophysiology course syllabus. I start the class in a couple of weeks and would like to look over it to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance

+ Add a Comment