RNs Relocating to Las Vegas

U.S.A. Nevada

Published

My husband and I are both RNs from the Midwest and we both have temporary Nevada licenses. We've applied to RN jobs online, but so far we have been "NOT SELECTED" for positions at St. Rose hospitals and our status is still pending for several HCA jobs (full-time jobs are few though). I have about 1-1/2 years Med-Surg experience in an HCA facility (plus, I have some charge RN experience and I've oriented many RN employees), and my husband has 6-1/2 years in both hospital (Med-Surg, Oncology), travel nursing (in same system as St. Rose), LTC, supervisory in LTC, and most currently, state hospital psych nursing charge RN. We were told by an HR at St. Rose that he should notify them about a week before we visit LV so he could possibly get an interview then...which seems odd to me...why toss his application into the 'not selected' file only to possibly hire him down the road? For me, I have been out of nursing being a SAHM caring for our young child for about a year and a half, so I can see why they may not be interested in hiring me... Should I keep applying or just wait until we relocate? I've thought about going to LTC, but I don't want to stay away from hospital nursing for too long since that's what I know and that's what I need if I want to further my education (i.e., MSN). I've read on some forums that NV doesn't hire as many out-of-state/ endorsement nurses for whatever reason. I don't think it should matter since we at least have nursing exp. to consider. I booked our flight for mid-Feb, so we will do *some* job hunting during that week. Any suggestions to speed up the job offers would be helpful! :lol2:

Specializes in Public Health.
I actually miss Vegas :/ I'd go back if I could! We lived there for 7 years and the only time we flt unsafe was when we lived near a ghetto type area. We moved as soon as our lease was up! I do agree that it's not very kid friendly but it's getting better, They did open the water park last summer, plus tons to do outside like Mt Charleston, red rock, stuff like that! An yeah, the school system kind of fails, but it's such a transient place that it's tough to keep up with. My hubby is a teacher, and taught there in Vegas, and he couldn't tell how many kids transferred in and out of classes constantly. Tough to teach kids that way...Anyways, IMO, places are what you make of it. I don't know about the job situation because I moved shortly after graduation last year. I was offered a job at Sunrise where I precepted, but silly me turned them down to move here to be with my hubby and kids. Still can't find a job here :/ if I'd have known I would have stayed in Vegas and got some experience under my belt![/quote']

But hey! You got hired yesterday right!? Congrats again!

I did, thanks!

Specializes in High-risk OB, Labor & Delivery.

I'm a California RN considering relocating to Las Vegas because of the cost of living. I work in San Diego and the cost to live out here keeps increasing. Does anyone know how much per hour the wages are approximately? Thanks :)

I'm a California RN considering relocating to Las Vegas because of the cost of living. I work in San Diego and the cost to live out here keeps increasing. Does anyone know how much per hour the wages are approximately? Thanks :)

$32/hr nights

Specializes in High-risk OB, Labor & Delivery.

Thanks, Slinkyhead RN! Wow, that's a pretty big pay-cut for me coming from California, as I expected.

$32/hr nights

Not really. It's wayyyyyy cheaper to live here. My rent is like less than 15% of my income. It's a great neighborhood and there's never any traffic either.

Not really. It's wayyyyyy cheaper to live here. My rent is like less than 15% of my income. It's a great neighborhood and there's never any traffic either.
where do u work?

I work in the valley health system

I am applying there but I am from washington - do you suggest getting a Nevada license first? did you have prior nursing experience ?

Specializes in Software and home health.

Yes get a temp NV license first. Good for 6 months.

I am so glad you posted this I was becoming very disheartened as I am moving to Vegas in June my family is there but I was not aware of them not hiring out of staters so thats why they have not answered my inquirys as I have 20 years experience as an RN. Thanks Again for your post and I moved from Oregon coast which is not Portland as someone said earlier to phoenix az been here 10 years in the desert and it is definitely hot here but the heat in vegas is different than here.

Specializes in NICU.

Don't believe people when they say hospitals in Vegas won't hire people from out of state. I moved from out of state and had my pick of hospital to work at easily. We actually like it it here so far. The pay is GREAT (about 55/hr for Per Diem) in a critical care unit at St. Rose. The standard of living is pretty low. Just put your app out to multiple places and see where you get bites. Never hurts to prod HR a little either if you don't hear anything back soon ;)

+ Add a Comment