Umet and InterAmericana Nursing School

World US Territories

Published

I am going to apply to Universidad Metropolitana, and Inter Americana, for the Bi-lingual nursing programs there. If any one has any information about applying to either school, information about how to apply to the specific nursing programs at these schools, deadlines for applications and such, I Would greatly appreciate it. Any other information about other Bi-lingual nursing programs in Puerto Rico would be more than welcome as well. Currently I am in my last semester of Pre-requisites for UCCS and there nursing program.

Hi, I'm also interested in UMET. I have read that Umet a lot better than InterAmerican. I have contacted Rebecca from Umet and she answered to few of my questions. Not sure about the dates when to apply and deadlines, but I know that nursing in English is offered in the evening, starting at 5pm and it's a 4 year program for BSN. They don't have Associate program for nursing in English and GE classes are in Spanish. I wonder if they offer GE for the 1st year and nursing classes for 3 years. And I have no idea what those prerequisites are exactly. Unfortunately they don't have any info on their website and they are impossible to get hold of.

You can try to contact Rebecca, she is from Minnesota and speaks English. Maybe you'll find out more about the program. Good luck and please write here if you find more info.

Dra. Rebecca S. Frugé, Ph.D., RN

Directora Programas de Enfermería

ADN, BSN, BSN Bilingüe y MSN

Escuela de Ciencias de la Salud – UMET Bayamón

787-288-1100 ext. 8253 * [email protected]

Hi

I just finished my BSN at Interamericana from the English program. If I'm to be honest here is the deal: if you want a fast (1 year ADN or 2 year BSN) degree you may wanna go to the Inter. But if you want to truly learn and practice hard, unless you are willing to do a lot of self teaching, go somewhere else. It is a very frustrating program with an administration that couldn't care less about their students, (except for the teachers). They hire people who are not prepared to do the job and you will have huge gaps unless you take the time to study on your own. They don't have any pre-requites and you may apply as late as you want probably until July. I don't know about UMET but I was disappointed with my education at Inter.

I am curious, did you start your BSN at UMET?

I am contemplating starting it in August 2014.

Thanks.

How are the instructors at the interamericana university, are they supportive of the students? what is the clinical and lab class like? How about the housing and food expense like? Anyone? Please enlighten me if you have information. I will appreciate it. Thank you!

Specializes in Emergency.

I am currently finishing up my BSN at Inter American. newsb0431, I'm pretty certain that UMET does not have their NLN certification, definitely make sure and double check that, because the status of the certification can change from semester to semester. Inter American has a nursing program in Bayamon, for example that is NOT accredited. I checked out UMET before deciding on Inter. UMET has better facilities, no doubt about it. Shiny new sim dolls and sim labs. From what I understood, though, they call their program "bi-lingual" but you do need a working knowledge of Spanish to succeed in the program. What they really mean is, some of the lectures are definitely going to be in Spanish, but we will give you English classes and the textbooks are in English. For me, I was not at a proficiency level where I could have studied nursing in Spanish, or had the additional concern of trying to discern lectures that are given in Spanish. I have a classmate that relayed that she had a difficult time getting them to accept her previous Bachelor's credits and she ended up transferring to Inter.

Inter is a bit lenient on the acceptance period, but the normal start of the academic year is August trimester.

Universidad Interamericana - Recinto Metro

Unfortunately, I must agree with MidnightFire's comments. They mirror my experience as well.

Specializes in Emergency.

Apolojo, unfortunately, I must mirror Midnightfire's comments. As far as the caliber of the instructors, its hit or miss at best. A few are great and take pride in their teaching and care for their student's success. But many are sub-par. All of the nursing and medical schools in Puerto Rico try to do clinical rotations at the same time and it becomes very cramped and every trimester, we are left reaaaaching for clinical placement. The lab definitely has not seen updating since the 1970's. You need to do a lot of self study. There are many holidays here on the island, as well as "storm days" or other reasons that class/lecture gets cancelled. Housing is affordable depending on what you get and where. Food is crazy expensive, about 2.5 times the cost of food in the midwest. Plan on getting a Costco card. Its a trade-off. Easy acceptance with no waiting list, and quick completion. I just want to make sure that someone's painting the whole, realistic picture. Its a big decision to come here and do this.

Hello, I called Inter American University yesterday spoke to an nurse instructor and she told me to call back Monday to speak to the Secretary to get more information about the 2015 nursing program. I am interested in the ADN and BSN program. I'm base in California.

BTW UMET is accredited. I graduated from there July 2013 took my nclex in October 2013 and passed. I am now working on a med surg floor since March of this yr. Really both schools has its good professors and horrible ones. The nursing classes are in English the pre reqs are in Spanish. My spanish is pretty good so I took a few nursing classes in Spanish (my choice).

Hello my name is vanessa I'm a student in California also applying to la inter this year have u had any success in recieving anymore information . My only concern is getting relicensured in California if there will be an issue later .

You should not have any problems but some states view PR as "foreign educated" and California is one of them. You may have to go through the CGFNS process when applying for initial licensure.

Make sure you meet all other requirements from the California BON expects (A&P and microbiology etc). Each states in addition to NCLEX, CGFNS have particular requirements (ex. CE courses). Just remember to be dedicated and do a lot of self-studying/reading with this program. Hope it helps.

+ Add a Comment