What's in your pocket - ER Style

Specialties Emergency

Published

I know there are some older threads similar to this but I figured a fresh one with an ED focus might not be a bad idea.

Stethoscope - Goes without saying...but for sack of being through. I actually keep a backup in my locker just in case I forget the main one. I tend to keep a roll of tape on it as well. I also found a really cool LED light that I clip to the part of the tubing. Made by princetec called impulse and it is the carabiner version. About $10 here on amazon.

Ballpoint Pen - I hate messing around with caps so it is one of the clicky ones (fancy term I know..) They also write well through carbon copies...yes we still have a couple of things still in paper - and carbon copy versions.

Scissors - The item that never finds it's way back to it's owner. And every time you give it out you preface it with "Make sure I get these back." Saw some crazy fancy ones in the store for $15 - they were black and seemed really nice. Also saw myself losing them very quickly. I actually am currently using a this pair from staples. They are quite sturdy and are titanium which if nothing else sounds pretty rugged. Haha but they are quite durable. Other option is to buy them in bulk on ebay and as they get lost it isnt a big deal.

I usually ditch the keys and wallet in the locker but do keep the phone and a little cash on me. Phone is nice for calcualtions and I have tried various reference software but I lean toward hard copy or whatever reference is on the computer. Bigger screen..

Everyone has their own way of organizing patient notes (some people call this their "brain"). I am not one who can just absorb it all as someone shpeals a dozen or so facts about 4 different patients. I bounce between taking an 8.5 by 11 and index cards. I am currently using the paper and find that most helpful. And bottom line is having something to write on is pretty clutch. How many times have you used an alcohol prep, paper towel, or gauze pad to jot down a recent set of VS or phone number or whatever you need to remember.

I try to keep it light so my last must have is my badge. Seems like another no brainer but I actually see it as a tool. It is on a badge reel for the entry swipes. Key to my locker. And i have a set of badge card references on there that I find really helpful. One converts pounds to kilograms which every triage note requires (at our place) yet the computer system doesnt calculate it for you into kg...pretty crazy. It is also helpful when you and the doctor look at a sick pt and need to come up with a guesstimate on the spot. Found them on ebay under rn badge card here. I also have the conversion card and the pedi card. I try to use pocket guides but most of them are very "pocket-like." I end up leaving them on the COW or in the locker and never using them.

What do you find helpful?

When on a St. John duty I have a pick pocket that has the following:

Trauma shears

Pen

Penlight

5x pairs of gloves

Silk and paper tape

Phone

Normal scissors

Triangular bandage

Specializes in Emergency.

I start each shift with one pen and trauma shears in my pocket with my stetho and tape are around my neck.

I'm curious about what is in everyone's pockets at the END of their shift,lol. I ended my shift yesterday with an empty ativan vile, 2 lid tabs from medication viles, 1 bandaid, a 3ml syringe still in the wrapper, a wad of alcohol swabs, 6 pens (accidentally stolen from coworkers ;) a pt's family member's phone number they wrote on an old receipt, 55 cents, and a gum wrapper.

Specializes in Ambulatory care.

Well i'm clinic nurse who did a year long stint as ER volunteer when I was a student so whats in my pockets has more in common with ER nurses than the rest of my cowokers. All this weighs probably 5 lbs. such that my preceptor joked that I had just about as much equipment in my pockets as a cop. I avoid putting items in my back pocket as things then to fall out when I sit down. Well technically I don't need all of this equipment as I'm not an ER nurse however I feel safer and more confident with all of this stuff in my pockets as I know I will have everything I need if I need it. This is my security blanket of sorts . It did come in handy during one weekend where I was called in to work in a city wide emegency ah from the hurricane sandy. I was one of the few people who had scissors. OK end of shift I have to empty pockets less I accidentally take home stuff I should not

Stethoscope

alcohol pads,

sharpie

dry erase marker

black & red pens,

gauze

bandaid

pen light

tape

scissors

ruler

2 pairs of gloves

cellphone,

wallet,

aquaphor hand oil "barrier creme',

Vaseline,

2 granola nut bars,

$10-20 cash,

mini calendar,

mini comb

2-3 sheets of 8x11

RN Notes spiral pocketbook,

-Steth

-Gum or mentos

-Two pens

-Scissors

-My keys( no matter how bad my shift is, my keys remind me that I'll go home eventually)

Specializes in Emergency/Acute.

Stethascope

Trauma shears and Clamp

Pen torch

marker for board and surgical marking

Several Pens

Tape + SWABS

Iphone and Little cash

Always have a tray with IV start and blood taking kit set up.

Stethoscope

2 pens

pen light

shears

And at the beginning of my shift I always load up on alcohol swabs and flushes!

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.
Trauma shears, steth (around neck), blue pens, a highlighter (to highlight completed orders), alcohol preps, 2x2s, tape... and my patrol cap in case I need to go outside quickly. My patrol cap is one fashion accessory we Army folks are not supposed to be missing while outdoors. ;)

Now I have to amend mine, due to my location: trauma shears, IV start kit, sharpie to write patient number on patient's legs (if they have any), tourniquet, alcohol preps, 2x2s, tape, and my 9mm pistol. :D We don't wear patrol caps on our compound, so that's one less thing! lol

Pixie -

I love seeing your perspective, Every time I read your posts it seems like I get an eye opened into a world I fortunately will never have to see. Thanks for your service!

front pocket: two pens, one permanent marker, highlighter, dry erase marker, ID.

Cargo pants pocket 1: IV drip & ACLS Rx drip cheat sheet, two-four flushes and IV hub adaptors

Cargo pants pocket 2: Stethoscope, i don't wear my steth around my neck because it become a choking hazard with combative and confused patients.

Pants Pocket: work phone.

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.
Pixie -

I love seeing your perspective, Every time I read your posts it seems like I get an eye opened into a world I fortunately will never have to see. Thanks for your service!

Thanks, it's a privilege. :) I know many ER nurses stateside who envy me for getting to carry the 9mm at work! lol

I always find I have at least 2 syringes, a bunch of alcohol swabs, and some kind of leftover benadryl or tylenol I forgot to return! Haha!

Depending on what scrubs I'm wearing, the location tends to vary a bit. But... in my left top pocket I have my phone, gum, and carmex. Top right pocket is a couple pens, dry erase marker, & a sharpie. My trauma shears go in one of the cargo pockets on my pants and then I typically have a stash of alcohol swabs in my rear pants pocket. My companion phone goes in my right pant pocket.

I've been organizing my gear this way for 3.5 of my 4 years as a nurse and trying to switch it up at this point feels VERY weird.

+ Add a Comment