How many of you both circulate AND scrub?

Specialties Operating Room

Published

Is it very often that RN's get to scrub in on surgeries, or are the RN's more exclusively becoming circulators while the surg techs take over scrubbing in?

Specializes in CNOR, OR, Perioperative, Management.

I scrub and circulate. They only use nurses for scrub when we are short on scrub tech and for breaks. If you are a new hire they will not likely train you on scrub. However, if you extern at the hospital, they will train you for scrub. That's how I learn to scrub. I personally think it is really helpful if nurses know how to scrub, familiar with field and all.

Specializes in Peri-Op.

I scrub and circulate. Im usually in charge though. We use a lot of nurses for scrubbing. We also do a training program to teach nurses to scrub. Everywhere that I have been in a management position I ask nurses if they wanna scrub and utilize the ones that do. If they are proficient or learn fast I always used them often.

Specializes in O.R., ED, M/S.

Your right, if there is a problem in sterility, counts and such I blame the circ because that room is their responsibilty. They have to keep and eye not only on the scrub but the surgeon and anesthesia.

In our very large, level 1 trauma center the OR nurse is 50% scrub, 50% circulator. There are some STs but as they leave, they are replaced with RNs for the reasons wkc54 articulated.

Canada is not utilizing scrub techs (as far as I understand) in the majority of our operating rooms. I am unsure as to any that do use them in Ontario specifically. In the hospital I work at the RN's are trained equally in both scrubbing and circulating. The belief is that if you can scrub the procedures start to finish then you have a better understanding of it and what the team (and patient) needs during it. That isn't to say that circulating nurses that do not scrub don't understand the needs, that is just the theory behind our training. I actually really enjoy doing both roles as I like the variety in my workday. We have very few RPN's that work in our OR (only 2 out of 30+ nurses) and they are only allowed to do the scrub role.

At my hospital RNs scrub and circulate. We do have techs but when 2 RNs are assigned to a room someone has to do it. I personally hate scrubbing (and I used to be a tech) and my manager knows I hate it so I get scrubbed every chance she gets. Lol

I do agree with a pp that said you are at an advantage if you scrub and circulate. Because you know everything about the case much better. Some days id rather work with a RN as scrub and me as circulator because I find it to be a better day. We are compassionate towards eachother because we know what it's like to be the one running every 5 seconds. No offense to techs. I used to be one too. But I find that nurses are sometimes more prepared and have 100% of what they need for the case so I don't have to run. Although there are a few techs I work with who are amazing and id rather work with them than some nurses. Lol

I do agree with a pp that said you are at an advantage if you scrub and circulate. Because you know everything about the case much better. Some days id rather work with a RN as scrub and me as circulator because I find it to be a better day. We are compassionate towards eachother because we know what it's like to be the one running every 5 seconds. No offense to techs. I used to be one too. But I find that nurses are sometimes more prepared and have 100% of what they need for the case so I don't have to run. Although there are a few techs I work with who are amazing and id rather work with them than some nurses. Lol

I disagree. First of all, I'm a scrub and my circulator runs only on rare occasions. I know my cases inside and out and I am prepared. I think nurses need to scrub to see what it's like: Standing under the hot lights, lifting the heavy trays, holding a leg for 3 hours on a patient who weighs 300 lbs. and we have some nurses who scrub who NEVER have what they need. The circulator is running the whole case. So, just because it's a nurse doesn't make them a better scrub.

Specializes in Peri-Op.

Aubgurl, don't take it too personal. Scrubs have their place in the business of hospitals but an RN will always be the go to in a pinch. If I have two applicants, one scrub and one RN that scrubs.... I hire the RN that scrubs. This is a nursing forum so these are the types of answers you get, that's just life. If I was in a surg tech forum I would expect you all to talk about how you don't need RNs and are way better than any of us.

Techs were not always around, it was traditionally a nursing job and I see it swinging more and more back in that direction. I for one will keep training every nurse I hire throughout my career how to scrub.

I disagree. First of all, I'm a scrub and my circulator runs only on rare occasions. I know my cases inside and out and I am prepared. I think nurses need to scrub to see what it's like: Standing under the hot lights, lifting the heavy trays, holding a leg for 3 hours on a patient who weighs 300 lbs. and we have some nurses who scrub who NEVER have what they need. The circulator is running the whole case. So, just because it's a nurse doesn't make them a better scrub.

If you read what I said I clearly said I used to be a scrub. I'm a nurse that has to scrub too. So I do scrub and see what it's like. However I will be the first to tell you that I loathe scrubbing. I hate standing in one place for too long, but it's the only way to truly know the case. I also want to point out that I said there are a few techs I'd rather work with over some nurses who scrub. The problem is that nurses are scrubbed so rarely because of techs. I once heard of a hospital that only used nurses and no techs at all and had lower infection rates etc. another problem is that people get pigeon holed into one specialty with one dr and when a trauma comes or your case is switched up you are literally screwed cuz the pref cards are never up to date. Anyway I wasn't knocking techs. I used to be one. But I was pointing out that nurses who scrub know what it's like to circulate and tend to be nicer to each other during the case. For example: I don't throw my sponges off if I have space to separate them so the circulator can clearly see without having to bend over thirty times to bag them (on small cases that aren't very bloody and are quick) because I know the circulator is running and trying to get computer and specimens etc done. Techs always throw sponges no matter what. That's just one example but my point is RN scrub and RN circulators know how it feels to be in both positions. I'm not knocking techs. I'm closer with some of my techs than I am with the RNs. So I'm sure you are amazing at your job. :) Have a great day.

Specializes in Peri-op/Sub-Acute ANP.

LandD,

That drives me nuts when the scrub (be it nurse or tech) calls for a count then throws off 4 out of the 5 laps they have on the field!!!! Agrrrr!! I too used to be a tech and I have to say it is a whole different perspective. When I was a scrub I used to look at the circulating nurse and, if I'm honest, I bought into the clichés about what the circulating nurse does (or doesn't do). The reality is far from the perception and I actually look forward to scrubbing on occasion because it feels like a break from the stress of circulating.

LandD,

That drives me nuts when the scrub (be it nurse or tech) calls for a count then throws off 4 out of the 5 laps they have on the field!!!! Agrrrr!! I too used to be a tech and I have to say it is a whole different perspective. When I was a scrub I used to look at the circulating nurse and, if I'm honest, I bought into the clichés about what the circulating nurse does (or doesn't do). The reality is far from the perception and I actually look forward to scrubbing on occasion because it feels like a break from the stress of circulating.

That is very true! Scrubbing does give you a break and I've been in situations where people do that to me too. (Throw 500 sponges and tap their foot waiting for a count) lol I usually comment some smart a*% thing and get on with it. Haha but for the most part our OR people all work well together and if we don't...management knows it and won't put us in the same room. :) oh the culture of the OR or any nursing unit

+ Add a Comment