Jacksonville university RN to BSN online

Students Online Learning

Updated:   Published

You are reading page 3 of Jacksonville university RN to BSN online

pandorasbox

134 Posts

Sorry for repeat. Using phone and sent by error.

pandorasbox

134 Posts

It would be great if we could get a current student or recent graduate to tell us what the program is really like. I think I like everything about the program except perhaps the "practice project". Needing a preceptor, having to go to a community setting, etc. is what really bothers me about JU. Maybe I'm overanalyzing it and freaking out over nothing.

This is what the program rep sent me when I asked about the practice project......what do you guys think??????

What are JU's practice project requirements?

There is a practice project with two courses, NUR 451 Community Health Nursing Practice for the Experienced Nurse and NUR 461 Professional Nursing Synthesis for the Experienced Nurse. The professor approves both the preceptor and the project setting the student proposes. Here are some student comments.

"The projects could be about just about anything and are not difficult in the least," said one graduate. "It is what you personally make them out to be in terms of degree of difficulty."

"I am hoping the information that I gather will not only produce a good class project, but will benefit my unit and hospital as well."

NUR 451 Community Health Nursing Practice for the Experienced Nurse

Project details:

* Your primary objective is to do a community assessment on a vulnerable population and to determine nursing interventions, one of which you will implement

* There is a paper and presentation; the paper is based on the community that your site is in. The presentation is basically a rehash of your paper, but done in a way that would be presentable to a group.

* You should be there weekly throughout the course for at least some time. It breaks down to a total of about 90 hours over 8 weeks which is about 12 hours a week spent in clinical setting, library, typing, etc. This is a 3 credit course.

* Student will also attend a community meeting (school board meeting, youth drug prevention, AA, etc.) and volunteer with a local agency

Examples of practice project locations

* School is for pregnant middle school and high school students

* Private daycare/school

* Community clinic

* Outpatient dialysis center

* Army National Guard Occupational Health

* Home for mentally and physically challenged children

NUR 461 Professional Nursing Synthesis for the Experienced Nurse

Project details:

* Your project focus will be from a leadership, nursing education, or clinical resource perspective

* Your project should not focus on direct patient care but on education, administration, committee and policy development

* The goal is to show how all your classes have come together to influence your practice at the BSN level

* Choose an area that interests you

* The practice project and portfolio preparation take about 15 hours per week for the 8-week session to complete. This is a four credit course.

Project examples:

* TB update done in PowerPoint for nurses at a homeless shelter

* Design and propose a different staffing pattern

* Develop an inservice to teach nurses how to care for patients undergoing dialysis

* Analyze the skills necessary to be a successful Nurse Educator

* Increase patient satisfaction scores by initiating discharge planning on admission

* Devise a data collection system from patients undergoing a trial spinal cord stimulator

* Development of an educational in-service workshop to educate nursing care providers to effectively care for the client with psychiatric disorder

* Prepare and initiate a nursing educational inservice focusing on signs and symptoms of dehydration

* Develop an educational presentation on Sickle Cell Disease for teachers and students at a local school

* Host a four-hour continuing education event which will focus on the violence in healthcare

* Develop a bilingual presentation on health improvement for Haitian and Mexican migrant workers

* Create reference packet for clients who care for loved ones with Alzheimer's

* Redesign of the OR communication board to improve communication

* Research ways and educational processes for dementia patients and their families to understand how to control their diabetes

* Design an educational program which will educate RNs on providing care, maintaining, and problem-solving central lines

* Review 5 nursing procedures and start an Intranet PowerPoint procedure manual

Specializes in Flight Nursing, CVICU, ICU.

Anyone starting Jan 7th with me?

pandorasbox

134 Posts

Hi flymedicRN24,

I had seriously considered JU but have changed my mind after finding out they are not 100% online. All classes are online, but they have one course that requires outside work and a preceptor. It used to be two courses (I posted info on them on Dec 5), but now it's just one. I believe its NUR 456.

I am a new grad (May 2012) and my first nursing job does not involve direct patient care, and trying to get a preceptor that meets their requirements will be very difficult for me. To be honest, I just wanted a program that was 100% online and this type of project is not my cup of tea.

I wish you well with your studies!

:nurse:

rnckr, ADN

18 Posts

Specializes in Pediatrics, Hospice and Dialysis.

How much per credit hour for JU?

rnckr, ADN

18 Posts

Specializes in Pediatrics, Hospice and Dialysis.

Just got the answer. It's $447 per credit hour. Ouch! But it's cheaper than Chamberlains $590! Schools charging this much is an outrage.

mgul

1 Post

hey i started jan 7th. I'm taking information and research together. what about u?

TerpGal02, ASN

540 Posts

Specializes in Psych.

JU peeps how's it going? I start today!

ss624

33 Posts

I start July 1st!!

Hollie2724

3 Posts

The JU program is wonderful! I graduate in a few weeks. The last class is not a big deal. You have a practice project to complete, but you can do it at your job. All you do is pick a topic of interest and then implement an educational program, change a policy that is outdated or choose to improve some aspect of patient safety. You choose your own preceptor and all they are is a guide to help you if you have questions about your project. They submit little reports on you to your instructor so that your instructor knows that you are actually completing the project. After you get all the way to this class, putting together a project is a breeze. And you get A LOT of help from the instructor and your classmates. I was very pleased with program and even happier I can add BSN to my name soon!

Hollie2724

3 Posts

RNDialysis80

17 Posts

I am also starting JU on July 1st... Any advice from previous students??? Thanks!!

+ Add a Comment