Maxim Nursing

Specialties Home Health

Published

I am looking at working in home care for the first time. Do you even get a break or lunch? I see that many of the positions offered through this company, as well as Bayada, are 12 hours shifts. I just can't fathom not getting away for a meal or just to get away from the job for a few moments.

tara1961

10 Posts

I work for Bayada and you just make your schedule the way you want it to be. I take breaks for lunch!

BSNbeauty, BSN, RN

1,939 Posts

When I did shift work in home health I felt the same way about not 'getting away' for lunch. I did peds with children that had pegs and trachs and couldn't be left alone. Even though the job was pretty sedentary, I wish I was able to get some alone time.

CabanaDay

43 Posts

I work for both companies. I have not worked 12 hour shifts for Maxim. But for both companies I am never allowed to make the schedule the way I want it. I take breaks only if a competent family member is present and notified.

I worked 12 hour shifts for many months for a Bayada client with TBI. We ate together or I did not eat. To me that crossed professional boundaries and made for a stressful work environment. But that is what my CM and the client's family wanted so that's what I did.

allnurses Guide

nursel56

7,078 Posts

Specializes in Peds/outpatient FP,derm,allergy/private duty.

No, I don't take formal breaks or mealtimes unless someone was there to monitor the patient. When you do shifts in a home there really isn't any "away", but I don't really mind that because when you have only one patient there is alot of down time.

Having said that it depends on the age and acuity level of the patient and who is in the house with you. In some cases it might be possible. Just make sure your agency, client/patient and family are aware and in agreement. Ultimately you are liable for the patient's safety during those hours.

SuzieVN

537 Posts

Are those patients really that critically ill, you can't take a break? Seriously? If that's the case, what do you do if you need a bathroom?

allnurses Guide

nursel56

7,078 Posts

Specializes in Peds/outpatient FP,derm,allergy/private duty.
Are those patients really that critically ill, you can't take a break? Seriously? If that's the case, what do you do if you need a bathroom?

In my case my patients are on ventilators so someone needs to hear alarms and calls for suctioning, etc. It doesn't mean we can't use the bathroom facilities. Depending on the situation sometimes people will eat in the kitchen area or other room and have one of those baby monitors hooked up in order to hear them.

+ Add a Comment