Repeating failed clinical. Concerned about possibility of showing transcript.

World Canada

Published

Hello nurses.

I am a BScN student from Ontario. I failed my med/surg clinical last summer [ :'( ] and I am about to repeat it next month. Failing the clinical is already lousy enough, however I dread the idea of being asked to present my transcript to prospective employers when I seek my first nursing job.

For any of us here who have gone through New Grad Initiatives (or similar programs) or have successfully applied for a first nursing job, were you asked to present a transcript? Is registration with one's regulatory body enough?

Thanks so much.

Most places either want a copy of your transcript or a copy of your degree. I repeated a class as well and I have had many offers and interviews even with that on my record.

Specializes in Complex pedi to LTC/SA & now a manager.

Moved to Nursing in Canada forum to elicit further response.

Nobody I know has ever been asked for a transcript or their diploma.

The closest questions I've had were: where did you go to school? and did you pass the registration exam first try?

Specializes in Acute Care, Rehab, Palliative.

Employers will not ask for a transcript.All they care about is whether you have your license. They don't even care where you went to school or what my grades were.

Agree with Fiona, I haven't heard of employers asking for transcripts or diplomas. However, if an employer notices on your resume, that your education took longer than norm, they might ask you to explain it.

Specializes in Acute Care, Rehab, Palliative.

You can just put your graduating year on your resume.You don't need to put the year you started.

I'm a recent grad and I was never asked to present a transcript. For the NGGI, if you are a successful candidate they do ask for a copy of your degree, I believe for funding purposes. Also in an interview I was asked which year I started my program and which year I completed it. The interviewer was definitely checking to ensure I did it within the 4 years. However, I don't think you have much to worry about. The primary concern is that you are registered and are in good standing.

To be honest I would rather work with a new grad who repeated and learned the clinical skills they need to be safe, then one who scraped by and barely understands safe clinical practice.

I work in ontario and my employer never asked to see my transcript. All they required was my CNO registration # and HR asked for a copy of my degree so they could apply an education premium.

Not to be redundant here, but I've never known anyone to be asked for their transcript either. Employers are usually more concerned with whether you have written your CRNE or if you will be writing at the next available date. Only after an employer has offered you employment will you be able to apply for temporary license. Don't worry too much and just try to rock your current clinical rotation so that it doesn't happen again!

+ Add a Comment