Mandatory flu shots????

Nurses COVID

Published

It didn't dawn on me until just right now, don't ask me why, that my choice of NOT getting a flu shot will NOT get me into a nursing program. The director at my school of choice basically stated "it is a requirement that you receive one, however you can sign a declaration that you do not wish to receive one." Then I asked, "would that inhibit my chances of getting into the program?" She replied, "well, the facilities in which we work with it is required due to you working with elderly clients; If you do not wish to get the flu shot perhaps you should look into another career."

*****?? (excuse the language) I have worked in nursing homes, health centers, private duty, home health agencies, visiting nurses association, hospice AND THEY NEVER REQUIRED me to ever receive or even ASKED if I have obtained a flu shot!!! (mid 90's)

So, anyone please tell me my dream of becoming a nurse is already dead because I REFUSE to get a flu shot???!!! seriously??? I am so upset right now!!!

Specializes in Hospice, Palliative Care.

Good day:

I don't equate the flu vaccine with that against polio or others. Does the latter include mercury? Does the latter change in what's in it every year as a GUESS? Is the latter like a weather person (one of the few jobs you can be wrong 99% of the time and still have a job) or is it the same time after time?

Thank you.

It's not that we are not pro flu as a matter of fact my first flu shot was this past season because i have a son and wanted to protect him because there were over 20 child deaths from the flu in 2012 i did it for his safety as well as i will put my patients before me.

all you pro flu vaccine person, you do realize that OSHA doesn't feel that there is enough EVIDENCE to mandate, don't you?

But this isn't the point here. If a clinical site for students requires the flu shot, you get the flu shot or you don't go to the clinical site. Arguing with the hospital or facility on the flu shot won't help the OP as a nursing student, they don't care if you are there or not.

It didn't dawn on me until just right now, don't ask me why, that my choice of NOT getting a flu shot will NOT get me into a nursing program. the director at my school of choice basically stated "it is a requirement that you receive one, however you can sign a declaration that you do not wish to receive one." then I asked, "would that inhibit my chances of getting into the program?" She replied, "well, the facilities in which we work with it is required due to you working with elderly clients; if you do not wish to get the flu shot perhaps you should look into another career."

*****?? (excuse the language) I have worked in nursing homes, health centers, private duty, home health agencies, visiting nurses association, hospice AND THEY NEVER REQUIRED me to ever receive or even ASKED if I have obtained a flu shot!!! (mid 90's)

So, anyone please tell me my dream of becoming a nurse is already dead because I REFUSE to get a flu shot???!!! seriously??? I am so upset right now!!!

Some workplaces allow you to refuse buy you have to wear a mask. Other places, like the hospital I worked at as a patient care tech REQUIRED it. My classmate who worked at the same hospital I did was fired for not getting her flu shot on time

all you pro flu vaccine person, you do realize that OSHA doesn't feel that there is enough EVIDENCE to mandate, don't you?

It doesnt matter. If a hospital requires it, you can't just say to them your OSHA spiel and expect not to get the boot. They will have no problem firing you and hiring someone who is willing to get the vaccine. I personally think its not right for it to be mandator (although I myself am pro flu shot). I believe it should be a persons personal decision. But the facts are facts. Many hospitals are mandating it without the option to refuse and wear a mask. Right or wrong, that's the cold hard truth

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

Vaccine info here: Pandemic Flu

Not my point. Is it not the least bit strange the the Government agency that is supposed to be on our side for workplace risk/danger, says "wait a minute, where is the Evidence"?

I don't mean to be rude, but the flu shot is really not even for your benefit. It is for the patients. We work in areas where people are incredibly compromised (at least most of us do at some point) and just like the required immunizations and boosters, they serve to prevent you from transmitting a disease to someone who it could seriously injure. And anyhow, what reservations could you possibly have to getting one? You are in the healthcare industry! Please don't tell me that you think vaccines are not safe, cause some kind of obscure disease, or have any negative effects for a healthy individual. You need to be advocating the same information to your patients and the people in your community as well. Don't spread the detrimental rumor that people shouldn't get vaccines.

If this is honestly your biggest hesitation to you education, do us all a favor and don't become a nurse.

Specializes in Hospice, Palliative Care.

Moderator, please delete this post. Thank you.

It amazes me how butyhurt some people can be. Especially about something that's for their patients benefit. I have never understood the reservations people create over a shot. Without them we would revert back to the epidemics of the late 1800s.

Specializes in ER, progressive care.

Times have changed. When I was in nursing school (I graduated in 2010), flu shots weren't required but they were strongly encouraged. Now most, if not all, places are requiring them. You either have to get a flu shot or wear a mask when you're within 6 feet of a patient. No exceptions.

+ Add a Comment