Am I Only one who is irritated by doctors and medical shows?

Nurses Relations

Published

You are reading page 4 of Am I Only one who is irritated by doctors and medical shows?

I don't always like how nurses are portrayed in the media. There used to be an organization of nurses dedicated to advocating for better representation of nurses, but I think they shut down shop. There was a time when I would send ABC emails complaining about Greys Anatomy's portrayal of nurses, but I later realized it was futile & stupid. As long as our educational standards don't require a 4 year degree, I think it will stay that way.

You mistakenly think I really am that upset about it. I don't perpetuate any battle between nurses and docs. Where I work, we all get along pretty well. As far as television goes, I just made a comment, I don't sit around getting my blood pressure about it, I just think it's ridiculous. Let's not get too serious about the OP's post.

( more real than the medical soap operas ) i love to watch The Doctors because i find the main host, Dr. Travis Stork, to be pretty good looking, at least better than most drs i see in real life. if they cast all super hot doctors i would watch even more often.

i doubt law and order is accurate portrayal of cops, lawyers, DAs, judges etc. ... the same detective who investigates a kidnapping in nyc also investigates international animal smuggling?????? lol i think not

seanynjboy, BSN

225 Posts

Specializes in Medical-Surgical, Supervisory, HEDIS, IT.

Totally don't care. I like the CHEEEESINESS of medical shows. I find it amusing how many things I find wrong in shows like Grey's Anatomy and ER :)

psu_213, BSN, RN

3,878 Posts

Specializes in Emergency, Telemetry, Transplant.
House is the worst for inaccuracies. I love the show but it's crazy that the doctors are all expert nurses, radiology techs, lab techs, nurses, as well as working in every dept of the hospital! I just think its ridiculous!

Not to mention its medical inaccuracies. For example, a guy developed a blood clot in his eye. Says one of the docs "start him on warfarin to break up the clot!" Voila, the clot was gone in minutes. How long would it take to some basic research to make it accurate?

psu_213, BSN, RN

3,878 Posts

Specializes in Emergency, Telemetry, Transplant.
I don't even like shows like The Doctors and just can't tolerate Dr Oz with his following every new "brand new study says" stuff. And give me a break, he's an expert in ever area of medicine? People, just go to your personal physician please lol

Why? Just go to the ER and say "Dr. Oz says....." (When this phrase starts a patient's statement of why there are there I just hope they don't hear me say "ughhh.")

Ntheboat2

366 Posts

It's a sad reality that the higher education you receive, the more removed you are from hands on patient care. I was thinking of this the other day when I realized I had been at the desk for much longer than I would have liked to be. One of the aides (although she said nothing) was giving off attitude vibes as if she thought myself and the other nurses weren't "doing anything" because she was the one up and moving around and we were sitting down. At the same time, her work was caught up and I was way behind. I've been an aide and I spent way more time with the patients hands on than I do now. I also didn't have to have an education ( I did, but it wasn't required for that particular job) and I got paid a lot less. I was just thinking to myself....I hate that she assumes we aren't doing anything or don't want to do anything because I would love to have more direct patient contact. That's why I wanted to be a nurse. The reality is that I'm the one who has to document everything and it consumes the majority of my time.

I said all that to say this... I try to remember that I haven't been a doctor and I can't possibly know what their job really entails or where their heart was when they got into the field. They spend way less time with the patients and get paid way more than nurses...just like nurses generally spend less time than aides but get paid much more. It's not just the medical field. In most professions, the person doing the hardest work gets the least recognition financially, verbally, etc. It's easy to point fingers, but I don't know that there's anyone to blame.

workingharder

308 Posts

Yep, I know the feeling. The inaccuracies abound.

When I, once upon a time, would sit down to watch TV, I'd have to shake my head in wonderment. How could "Mr. Freeze" ever hope to solidify Batman into a chunk of ice without first checking to see if he was not wearing his "Super-thermal-long-underwear"? Any Arch-Villain would know that. I had become jaded early.

Specializes in PDN; Burn; Phone triage.

Nursing school friend of mine posted on her FB: xyz has a URI, should I ask the doctor for antibiotics or oil of oregano? How about neither and stop getting your medical information from the TV?

allnurses Guide

Hygiene Queen

2,232 Posts

^^^^

You should have told her to ask for oil of oregano... but tell her to be sure to let everyone know what the doc said about that... :whistling:

i♥words

561 Posts

I haven't seen a show yet that shows CPR done correctly. It's always push down, wait 5 minutes, "Is he alive?", push down, wait 5 minutes, "How 'bout now?"

roser13, ASN, RN

6,504 Posts

Specializes in Med/Surg, Ortho, ASC.
I don't even like shows like The Doctors and just can't tolerate Dr Oz with his following every new "brand new study says" stuff. And give me a break, he's an expert in ever area of medicine? People, just go to your personal physician please lol

I had alot of respect for Dr. Oz in the beginning. He was down-to-earth and a welcome source of realistic medical info. He apparently IS a respected cardiac surgeon.

HOWEVER, all he seems to do these days is promote diet after diet after diet. How can one person find so many diets to espouse?

+ Add a Comment