Things You Didn't Learn in Nursing School

Nurses General Nursing Video

Updated:   Published

Specializes in Programming / Strategist for allnurses.

We learned a lot in nursing school, but some things you can only learn while on the job. Here are just a few of them.

Share your thoughts

I wonder if anyone owns the full 12-volume set? ;)

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

That seldom are things as perfect as they had to be in order to pass the tests, particularly skills check offs.

How to pass meds to 26 patients in 1 hour.

Didn't learn that nurses are also pharmacist, respiratory therapist, clinical techs, physical therapists, cosmetologist, environmental services and the list goes on. Apparently we do it all....

How quickly/continuously medical science advances/changes, and how much time, effort and expense is involved in trying to keep up with the changes from the point of view of nursing practice.

Specializes in Trauma | Surgical ICU.

How to navigate, adapt and keep your spirits high in nursing?

I know there are many subjects that discussed about it. But nothing can really prepare a nurse outside. There's too many factors. Too many people to navigate. We have to be flexible but not a pushover. Assertive and not aggressive. Basically, how to roll with the bull.

What I didn't learn in nursing school was that I only learned enough to get me to the point where I could START to learn what I would need to know to work as a nurse.

Have often referred to the Newly-Minted Nurse as having a License to Learn.

I wish there was a clearly written and up to date book somewhere explaining it all!

When I graduated from nursing school, I was basically licensed to apply bandaids. The real learning comes with experience. Having a 6 hour clinical that included a one hour lunch break, 30 minutes and pre and post conference, did not prepare us what soever.

elprup said:
I wish there was a clearly written and up to date book somewhere explaining it all!

I believe you're looking for "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" :D

Specializes in Pediatrics.

"One time use only" is a term used very liberally in the home care setting.

+ Add a Comment