New Grad leaving NYC RN jobs to pursue CALI job?

U.S.A. California

Published

I graduated in Jan 2012. Currently, I work full time in two of the nations top hospital and I get a day off the week. I'm happy about the salary though because I have a lot of school loans... and I don't feel burnt out like people would assume. What is the average salary for New Grad in Cali?

But I eventually want to move to cali from NYC within the year or so... because I have 2 jobs in ER and ICU would I still be considered a new grad after a year?

Also I know it might be irrelevant but I noticed in my nursing cohort guys tended to land jobs much quicker then females did... Would it be easier for a guy to land a job in Cali as a new grad?

I graduated in Jan 2012. Currently, I work full time in two of the nations top hospital and I get a day off the week. I'm happy about the salary though because I have a lot of school loans... and I don't feel burnt out like people would assume. What is the average salary for New Grad in Cali?

But I eventually want to move to cali from NYC within the year or so... because I have 2 jobs in ER and ICU would I still be considered a new grad after a year?

Also I know it might be irrelevant but I noticed in my nursing cohort guys tended to land jobs much quicker then females did... Would it be easier for a guy to land a job in Cali as a new grad?

A lot of postings require one year of experience, so if you have one year of paid RN experience, it should be slightly easier than a fresh new grad with no experience. Start searching for jobs. It is still competitive, but not as competitive as new grads.

So, if you have a paid RN job for a year or more, you are no longer a new grad and will not be eligible for new grad positions/programs.

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

Honestly, it'd be easier to get hired in CA with experience. New grad programs here are notoriously competitive, and I think the unemployment rate for new grads in CA hovers around 40%. Even with experience, you'd still be up against tough competition. Also, most hospital new grad programs will not consider you a new grad after 6-12 months of paid RN experience of any type...so you're probably already out of the running for a lot of them.

I'd gain the experience in NY first, and then come out here. A year of experience is good...though to be honest, two would be better. You can definitely start searching for jobs, but IMO don't quit the NY job until you have a guaranteed CA job offer in hand.

As far as salaries go, a lot of it depends on where you are in CA, where you work and what you do. SoCal: low to mid 30s/hr for new grads, upper 30s to lower 40s/hr for nurses with 2 years' experience.

Thanks for the input! I am probably going to stay here for another year and gain the experience but I'll be looking at the same time. Mostly in the bay area and southern cali.

So are nurses in california hourly wage? I'm a bit confused because the two hospital I work for only told me my salary wage. For example 170000 and I get 3 weeks vacation, 2 weeks of sick, all the holidays, 3 personal days and 3 floating holidays. How would you calculate the hourly wage?

I would not move to California until you have a job. Some people find that it takes at least a year to find a job in California. There is no way to generalize wages either because in some parts of California the hourly wage is $28 bucks per hour and in other parts it can be $90.

Thanks for the input! I am probably going to stay here for another year and gain the experience but I'll be looking at the same time. Mostly in the bay area and southern cali.

So are nurses in california hourly wage? I'm a bit confused because the two hospital I work for only told me my salary wage. For example 170000 and I get 3 weeks vacation, 2 weeks of sick, all the holidays, 3 personal days and 3 floating holidays. How would you calculate the hourly wage?

You're getting paid 170k/year? That's pretty damn good

Specializes in ER, Trauma, Med-Surg/Tele, LTC.

Keep in mind the OP lives in NYC, which has one of the highest costs of living in the country. The number itself may seem very high, but her relative purchasing power may be less than in other parts of the country.

Do the Travel Nurse jobs in Cal. It pays great and there is always jobs. Plus housing is payed for and transportation on most assignments. I wouldn't do it any other way.

I work two jobs at night shift so if you take that into account they are both around 90000 each. Which is pretty average for new grads here

Specializes in Trauma-Surgical, Case Management, Clinic.

I work two jobs at night shift so if you take that into account they are both around 90000 each. Which is pretty average for new grads here

I seriously admire you for working two full time jobs. I wish I had that kind of motivation. I could have all my debt paid off if I could do that for six months. I'm sure with working all the time you don't have time to spend money so it's a good way to save.

Specializes in Trauma-Surgical, Case Management, Clinic.

Forgot to answer your question. Pay in Ca depends on where you live. Northern Ca pays $50-60 base while southern Ca pays $30-40 base. Also depends on how much you will be offered for your exp. The job market is tough here. After you get 2-3 yrs exp I would suggest taking a travel assignment. Hospitals often hire travelers.

Your completely dramatizing base salary. New grads with BSN on average start at 78,000 and that's day shift full time at a hospital .

+ Add a Comment