Will I be in over my head? Advice please!

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Hello Everybody! I have been using this site as a tool for years now, but didn't make my own account until today. I'm 21 years old and living in NYC. I recently applied to SUNY Stony Brook and I'm trying to decide on my future career path. I have a different story than most. I'm just looking for a little insight from people more experienced than myself.

Let me start by telling you a brief story of how I ended up where I am.

I come from a somewhat crazy family. My father was an "evangelist "on Sundays and beat my brothers during the weekdays. My mother was also a religious fanatic with crazy views on the world. After my older brother grew up and left, I was left with my parents. My mother, being the religious person she was decided school was "evil" and pulled me out and moved to Vermont around the age of 10, the only problem was--she didn't teach me. She would tell everyone I was home-schooled but neglect my homework. By the time I was in high school, I was too embarrassed to go to school because I knew I was so far behind. I use to be threatened by the fact that "if people found out I was behind, the state would take me away from my family". I remember telling myself I wouldn't turn out like people predicted. I became straight edge, (No drinking and no drugs) and made a promise I would end up in college to be a nurse no matter what it took. Around the time I should have been a junior in high school, I met a girl who I shared all my problems and secretes with. She started teaching me math and science after school and was thankfully very patient and kind. Without exaggeration, I would start practicing math from 10am to 7pm every day hoping to catch up to my friends in high school. After about 6 months of this my girlfriend started bringing home her math homework to see if I could figure it out, and to my surprise I could with some help. I went to an adult education place in my local town, and started taking classes while taking college level courses at my local community college. Long story short, I ended up with my high school diploma, and I also have about 38 credits from a community college. I moved out of my house as quickly as possible, and I now live in NYC with that same girl from high school. My problem is I never took chemistry or physics in highschool. I am terrified of taking it at college. I have taken statistics and college algebra, and have gotten an A in both classes but feel as though my girlfriend has to spend extra time everyday helping me with my homework in order to understand it. I feel as though I have to work twice as hard to understand math than other people in my classes.

I applied to Stony Brook University recently, I have a 3.9 gpa and I applied undecided because I still have to take a lot of the prereqs for the nursing program. My question is, will I be in over my head? I feel like everyone there has taken 4 years of science and math already, and I was just some kid who was taught by my girlfriend. She says she will teach me chemistry, but I want to be able to fully understand it and be confident in school. I am good with conceptual things. I have taken medical terminology and was at the top of my class. I just feel so nervous and I can't shake it. Should I pick a different major? I see all these kids with years of preparation failing nursing school. I can't help but feel as though I will have an even harder time than them. I want to be a ER nurse, it's something I am very passionate about. I just want to hear from people if I should go to a school known to be very difficult in sciences. Will Stony Brook be that much harder than the classes I took at community college?

I'm sorry for rambling; any kind of response will help...I just feel as though I will be in over my head. I will be living on campus so I will have lots of time to study. I'm proud of how far I've gotten despite my situation--I am just unsure on how to approach all of this.

Again, I am sorry for the unorganized ramble and rabbit trails! Any kind of response will be helpful! I am just looking for honest opinions.

3.9 GPA WOW! It doesn't sound like you will have any problems to me. College courses aren't easy for anyone. everyone has to spend many many hours studying and pulling their hair out. I think you are up to speed with everyone else if not beyond. be proud of that 3.9 not many people do that well. Good luck!

Not only are you persistent and internally-driven, you're literate. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for someone who can spell and punctuate. The more you said about doing the math, nutrition, etc. coursework, the less I worried about your ability to do well in nursing school or its prerequisites, chemistry included. You'll be fine with that.

Just one small caveat: if you find yourself being too focused on minutiae, thinking you didn't learn enough even though you worked hard for the A, sidle on over to the student health folks and book yourself a session or two with a counselor to get yourself permission to be better grounded. I'd hate to see you get too far in that direction when it sounds like your goal is well in reach.

Specializes in OB/GYN/Neonatal/Office/Geriatric.

I dropped out of high school at age 15. Didn't finish the 10th grade. I got my GED when I was 18. Went to community college at 22 and was an A-B student. Definitely take chemistry at your community college--saves money. I think with your determination and intelligience you will do fine. I think your dream can someday be your reality. Good luck!

Specializes in cardiac CVRU/ICU/cardiac rehab/case management.

I hear your story loudly. In short I relate. I had eye problems as a kid so was placed in special ed .I adopted the belief that I would not amount to much but deeper in me lived a dream to one day be a nurse. I came to America by myself,worked 3 jobs as an illegal alien and did my GED. I n ever did chemistry in high school. What struggle teaches you is endurance which I personally believe is the single biggest factor that brought me through nursing school. I had times where I worried in college that I would never make it so I made a poster board of pictures that I felt resembles a great nurse. I use to look at it at night before bed and feel the joy of making it. In NYC and nursing I found myself and a home.When you struggle to learn ,failure is familiar but you learn from it to keep getting up and never to quit. Struggle made me a better nurse. I was so excited being a nurse I wanted to know everything. I don't mean this as bragging but so your heart will feel hope that after 1 yr of nursing I was nominated for nurse of the yearn my hospital . So it can be done!.I hear your passion,I hear you struggle and I believe in you.

I love the line "the wounded stag leaps highest " the deer who met injury young learned to compensate by rising higher than deer are meant to jump. The first step p is the hardest ...the world or circumstance can make us believe we are stupid but that is a lie.Honor the truth,the old story of stupid must be released.It is not useful. Hard work works. Believe and I promise you will get there! Feel proud of yourself.

Anytime ! Remember you have a lot of school ahead of you so find a way time destress and enjoy life too.

I started college at the age of 39 and totally feel your pain when it comes to being scared about taking new classes. When I took my first A&P class, it had been well over 20 years since I had been in any kind of science class. I recorded lectures and learned to study. And do not be afraid of the difference between Community College and a big University. I graduated with my Gen Ed AA from a community college with a 3.875 GPA. I am currently enrolled in the College of Nursing at the University of South Florida and here's the best part, so far my GPA is a 4.0 at the University level. Personally, I find the university classes to be alittle easier for some reason. My community college had great professors that really prepared their students for continuing their education beyond community college. The secret is knowing when to ask for help. If you feel that you rely too much on your friend, go to the library on campus. There are great tutors there to help. They have seen all types of students and can find a way to help you learn the material.

Never beat yourself up about having a different path to take to get where you want to be in life. We all start somewhere and everyone's journey will be different. Your life experiences will be a great benefit to you when dealing with patients.

I think I'll make it out alive!

If all you said is true, I know you'll get out alive. :yes: All the best to you, and good luck!

Specializes in Rehab, critical care.

From what you posted, it really sounds like you can do it! I don't think you'll just "make" it through school, but you'll do quite well in school. You're hesitant because of your setbacks and upbringing, but now that you're away from that situation, you can thrive, and you already have made huge steps toward your goal. And, it will make you all the more appreciative of your accomplishments.

Best of luck!

My story is similar to yours! Not the crazy family but I just never cared about my education at all. I never took Chemistry in highschool and made a B in college. Yes I had to work harder than everyone else BUT it sounds like you are used to working harder than everyone else anyway! Long story short, I just got accepted into nursing school yesterday...wahoo!! If I can do it so can you. So what if you struggle and have to work harder than everyone else, it will mean more to you!

Goodluck,

Julie

Thank you so much to everyone who gave me feedback! I felt truly blessed and it definitely gave me a huge push in the right direction! I am very fond of younger kids, and have made my final decision to become a pediatric ICU Nurse. One way another I will make it there. I am still waiting to hear back from Stony Brook, but once I get my acceptance letter I'm all in. Again, I am amazed by the encouragement I have received from complete strangers on here. I wish I could responded to all of you l individually, but hurricane Sandy hit NYC pretty hard and I'm sharing my laptop with a few people.

In case anyone is interested, my parents have come a long way since I was a child. My mother called me yesterday and offered to pay for my housing deposit for school, and my father offered to even help pay for some books. Things are looking up for me, and I keep getting this random rush of happiness go through me. Though I am still quite nervous, am I so excited to start learning!

Again, thank you everyone! You have truly eased my mind. You should see me posting on here more often!

Stony Brook is a tough school, especially for the sciences, and the nursing program is super competitive. You sound as though you can do it though, you've persevered through a lot and have come out on top. Don't be too scared of chemistry, a basic chem course is a lot of math, which you seem to have down. Once you're done with your first science course, you'll feel more confident. Good Luck for the future! I hope you get your acceptance letter soon.

Ps. Tell your story of trials and tribulations when you're ready to apply for SB's nursing program and are writing the essay, they look for a diverse student population in their nursing program.

I have also heard it is a tough school, but when I ask what makes Stony Brook tougher than any other University; people don't have much of answer for me. Could you please elaborate? Did you go to Stony Brook or is this something you have heard, too? Thanks!

+ Add a Comment