Considering just taking boards and be a LPN...does that make me a failure?

Nurses LPN/LVN

Published

I graduated from Chicago public schools practical nursing program in june 2012. I've been studying to take boards for my LPN but I'm also looking for a job as a CNA so that I'll be able to pay for it w/o depending on my mom. I also attend North Park university. I sort of feel like I should just stick with the lpn and work to save up for it, but then part of me is worried about what everybody else will say if I just drop out of college. All of my teachers and counselors at my school, employees at my mom's job (she's a CNA) were expecting me to go on for my RN, I even at one point expressed an interest in premedicine. I just don't want to look like a failure or a quitter but I don't believe that I want the responsibility of a RN . Most of the students that graduated from the program are going on to get a RN and even become Nurse Practioners (did i spell that right lol), even my cousin is going to get her RN. Is it wrong for me to be focused on other peoples' opinion of what I should do and comparing what I want to do with someone else's expectations and dreams?

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych.
Is it wrong for me to be focused on other peoples' opinion of what I should do and comparing what I want to do with someone else's expectations and dreams?
It's ultimately your life and nobody else's. You will need to do whatever makes you happy, even if it means not living up to other people's expectations.

Do you think these same people are going to drop what they're doing and become doctors just because you tell them that you expect them to go to medical school? I don't think so. It is time to do what you want to do, and not what others want you to do. Good luck.

Thank you. :)

Only you can make the decision, listen to your heart, no one else!! If you are happy being an LPN, then stick to it! I know many nurses that don't want the responsibilities of an RN and are happy working as LPN's. Trust your gut :up:

Specializes in School Nursing.

It is your life. I don't see being an LPN a failure in any sense of the word. IMO, it's a HUGE accomplishment. You're 19 years old and already have trade that will allow you to make your own way in the world. No, you wont make as much money as an RN, but money isn't everything. An LPN is still a nurse and deserving of the respect the title of 'nurse' offers.

I think that maybe you're burnt out on school. You're 19 and just passed a pretty rigorous program. If you're ready to go to work and get going in life, DO IT! The beauty of this is that you can go back to school for your RN ANYTIME between now and when your 70! Seriously. :) Take a break. Go to work. Go back to school if or when you're ready.

No! I wrote a post about this the other day. People are always asking " When are you going for your RN?" Right now my answer is never. It might change if I feel like I want it but right now I like being an LPN. I have experience that lands me a job quicker than it would as a new grad RN and I am confident in my skills as a LPN and I quite honestly dont want to go back to school lol. You do what YOU want to do, its the only way you will be happy.

Specializes in FMF CORPSMAN USN, TRUAMA, CCRN.
I graduated from Chicago public schools practical nursing program in june 2012. I've been studying to take boards for my LPN but I'm also looking for a job as a CNA so that I'll be able to pay for it w/o depending on my mom. I also attend North Park university. I sort of feel like I should just stick with the lpn and work to save up for it, but then part of me is worried about what everybody else will say if I just drop out of college. All of my teachers and counselors at my school, employees at my mom's job (she's a CNA) were expecting me to go on for my RN, I even at one point expressed an interest in premedicine. I just don't want to look like a failure or a quitter but I don't believe that I want the responsibility of a RN . Most of the students that graduated from the program are going on to get a RN and even become Nurse Practioners (did i spell that right lol), even my cousin is going to get her RN. Is it wrong for me to be focused on other peoples' opinion of what I should do and comparing what I want to do with someone else's expectations and dreams?

There is an old saying, "Someone else's is opinion of you, is none of your business." There is also an old truth. Those seasoned RN's who were at one time, CNA's and LPN's often make the best Nurses. They are able to take their experience from "growing up" in medicine, and incorporate it into their daily practice. The same holds true for LPN's who were once CNA's. They can identify with their team members and put it to work. Nothing you do as far as education in the Health Care industry is wasted, unless you simply just walk away. I also posted on another blog that one thing you never want to do in Nursing is burn bridges, because you never ever know just who might turn out to be your Supervisor. It's that way in Nursing, the person who may have been a CNA one day, can always go back to school and get a Masters and come back or go somewhere and you turn up to apply for a job. They may have been the worlds worst CNA, but as an RN, they're incredible Nurses. Then again, I've known some Master's prepared RN's that couldn't empty a bedpan with the instructions printed on the bottom side of it. You simply never know. You need to do what feels right for you. You can't do this to make anyone else happy. That will never work, because in the end, all you'll do is make yourself miserable and take horrible care of your patients. Go sell cars or be a data entry clerk. You can be just as miserable there and no one else is affected that way. I personally think you will make an outstanding LPN, How do I know? Because you cared enough to ask the questions. If you didn't you would simply have just stumbled forward and not worried about it. Go do good on your State Boards FaithGurl, Nursing needs you, and Good Luck.

FaithGurl, your post really touched me. Reading between the lines it sounds like there's some fear involved...Afraid of disappointing people, afraid of RN responsibility. C'mon girl... Your "FaithGurl" not "Feargurl"!!! Don't be afraid of trying to go for what you really want. And for pity's sake, if your mom wants to help...Let her!

Thank you Nursewendy2000! That just really encouraged me truly! I've been trying to contact the program that I graduated from to retake my ATI so that I can take StateBoards but no one's been answering. I do have a dream of working in the ER and at the same time I'm afraid of the responsibility that's what's making me want to settle but your comment just really encouraged me to continue on in my education and get my RN. :nurse: Thank you so much! God bless you.:laugh:

If being a LPN is a "failure" or a "quitter" then what the heck does that make the rest of us LPNs? We are hardly losers and you shouldn't be made to feel that way, especially by your own family. Your mom is a CNA so you've already surpassed her if she's looking to compete about it. LPNs are Licensed Practical NURSES, not someone who gave up along the way to RN. I'm very proud to be a LPN, and getting my RN isn't an option, especially right now. I'm married with two young boys and want to work in offices so I can be home with my family on evenings and weekends and holidays. When my kids get older that may very well change, but for now I'm the best darn LPN I can be. My mom also asks if I'm going to get my RN and I tell her when the time is right. She's said, more than once, she wishes I had gone on while I was still in school and gotten it. She doesn't understand that it's not as easy as just one more class and I would have graduated a semester later--it's more additional school. I was a divorced, single mom when I went to nursing school and as soon as I graduated I had to start working to support my little family. I say go for it, get your license with pride, and if anybody does give you grief about it, tell them you're working to gain experience and plan on bridging over when the time's right. Oh, and don't be afraid of looking for a LPN job instead of a CNA job. You're a NURSE and should be working as one. Not saying there's anything wrong with being a CNA, it's a job I know I couldn't have done, but use your education and license. And if you do go on for your RN, don't be afraid of your dream job in the ER. It's not like you see on TV, and if you start in a smaller, more rural ER it'll be a nice stepping stone. You're not going to jump straight into a level 1 trauma center, are you? I actually did an ER rotation in nursing school and again as my externship and I loved it. I was terrified when my teacher told me I was going to the ER but I loved it!!! Don't let anybody hold you back from your dreams or squish your dreams. Go, be the BEST LPN you can be!

Specializes in LTC/Rehab, ICF/MR, Mental Health.

I was asked this question just the other day. I have several reasons I haven't done my RN yet. Money which includes my student loans and the fact that I have to work and most RN programs around here mske it difficult to do both.

For me it was also the matter of having a bachelor's in management that I don't use and I wanted to make sure I liked nursing before I spent more money and time to realize it wasn't for me. I even spent a year working my previous job and a nursing job on weekends before I quit to do nursing full time.

I also really have learned a lot about what kind of nurse I want to be as far as specialties and whether I want to stop at my RN or go on and get my NP. Taking these two years has given me a lot of insight into a lot of knowledge about me and where I want to be as a nurse. I wish I'd have had this when I was 19 and not waited until I was 39 but better late than never!

It is your life. I don't see being an LPN a failure in any sense of the word. IMO, it's a HUGE accomplishment. You're 19 years old and already have trade that will allow you to make your own way in the world. No, you wont make as much money as an RN, but money isn't everything. An LPN is still a nurse and deserving of the respect the title of 'nurse' offers.

I think that maybe you're burnt out on school. You're 19 and just passed a pretty rigorous program. If you're ready to go to work and get going in life, DO IT! The beauty of this is that you can go back to school for your RN ANYTIME between now and when your 70! Seriously. :) Take a break. Go to work. Go back to school if or when you're ready.

This is true. I do feel really burnt out with school.

+ Add a Comment