Published

1. Did you Retake any of your Pre-Req's for WSSU's ABSN

Yes, only one
      Yes, Two or three
      No, I had all of the classes
      N/A There was no point
      I just did not get admitted

Hello AllNurses,

I just discovered that WSSU has an ABSN program. I want to apply and get some feedback on the program from current or past students. I have a non-nursing BA my GPA was a 3.1. Do I stand a chance for entry into the program with the following grades??

Micro-C

Anatomy I- C

Anatomy II- B

Chemistry I- B

Dev Psy- B

Statistics- C

Can anyone that was admitted give me any feedback? I am not getting any direct answers from the school. :banghead:

Thank you for telling me when I need to start looking for something in the mail! As for the funding issue, I really don't know. I have had a hard time getting in touch with someone over the phone in the nursing department to get an answer on this issue. However, I noticed that they did change the application. When I started looking at the ABSN program in 2011 the application included a page that gave information on the hospital contract and how the process kind of worked, but when I applied in Aug. 2012 the application had changed and that page was missing (which does not look like a good sign). While it would be great to get funded, the estimated $17,000 price for this program is actually one of the cheaper programs that lead to a BSN (UNC is the other program I am looking at and both their regular BSN track and ABSN track are comparable in cost to WSSU but they take longer). I think without the Baptist funding nursing applicants for the ABSN program are going to decline since that deal was a huge incentive.

I did talk to someone at the department and I was told that the contract with Baptist was over and that it is up in the air as to whether Baptist will continue to fund applicants or not. I was on the fence about the funding because although, getting a stipend and your school fees paid looks enticing, signing a contract for 3 years just because of $17,000.00 was a little bit difficult for me to take. With that said, that does not mean I would not consider the funding when given the opportunity.

Last year they sent an initial email to all accepted applicants so I guess they will do the same this year. Did you write SAT or ACT?

Well three years to pay off $17,000 was an awesome deal for me as I will be paying off my $12,000 loan from UNC for my first degree for longer than that. I saw the three year contract as a guaranteed job after graduation lol, but I plan on staying in the area for a very long time so it wouldn't hinder any life plans for me. Anyway, I am very bummed that there is no funding. I sent my ACT scores with my application (not sure if that is what you are asking).

I also sent ACT. I do not know why that became a requirement this year. Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I do not think you will have to repay the money. i think they just commit you for 3 years to work for them. If you plan on staying in the area, then that is no problem for you.

anyone has any news about when we will be hearing from WSSU???:no:

I went back to look at the threads for last year and the acceptance notification was sent on October 4, 2011. Going by that date we should be expecting to hear something from them next week all things being equal.

Someone in the nursing admissions office told me to expect word in mid-October. I'm hoping that it will come sooner.

Any news about when to expect to hear from the school?

Hi Faithfullove,

Do you have any Idea as to when they are going to let us know whether we were selected or not for the 2013 ABSN?

They will not let us know and till probably mid October. But you can always call and ask what they're saying now.

Baptist is tentatively going to offer books and tuition to maybe 20 students for the 2013 N12 class. This is less than prior as stipends and fees I understand have been trimmed. But even at that it is still something. CFNC has opportunities for potential nursing students, check out their website. (College Foundation of North Carolina)

Hi Nana,

Are they going to interview selected applicants as they did last year?

+ Add a Comment