How to handle lazy LPN's on the team

Nurses Relations

Published

We do team nursing on our floor with an aide, LPN, and RN as the team leader for up to 10 patients. I'm new to this. We have a few LPN's who will ignore call lights and ask other people to take care of some of their work. A lot of times we won't have an aide so it's up to the other two of us to take care of baths, vitals, etc as well. Last week this happened and my LPN took four breaks (not including her lunch) and the only time I sat down all day was at lunch. Everyone else noticed this and told me to document it all and give to our manager. However, someone else had told me to be careful because the manager will tell whoever you complained about who it was you who had an issue. However, even though she's the worst there are about four on our floor that will park their butts at the desk once their meds are passed and then complain or have a bad attitude if an RN dare asks them to answer a light or go help someone. A lot of times they'll come up with excuses why they can't do something. It's very frustrating! Is there a tactful way to deal with this or do I just need to go tattle which I really don't want to do esp being new? Thanks for any advice!!

Specializes in med/surg, psych, public health.

Still :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: at bbuerke's coworker!!!

:yes:

Specializes in Med/surg, Quality & Risk.
Nurses giving patients IV while standing up

Sorry? I don't get this. Are you saying starting IV's while standing causes bruises?

LPN's are not lazy! Maybe that particular one is. I have worked with LPNs who have done much more then I can say

for some RNs.

You have gotten wonderful advice. The only thing I want to add is to remember that RNS don't own LPNS or anyone else of that matter. Doctors don't go around saying "my RN".

When I hear people use the term "my" when referring to others I get offended. I'm a RN that have been a CNA and LPN. That term used to get under my skin.

How then should I refer to my boss and my girlfriend? "The boss" sounds like an affectation, and "the ball and chain" sounds just plain wrong.

LPN's are not lazy! Maybe that particular one is. I have worked with LPNs who have done much more then I can say for some RNs.

Threebrats46, there are sixty posts between the first and yours that you might want to peruse.

Suppose this particular one is lazy. What would you do if you were in the OP's clogs?

Congrats.

Now my advice to you is: Don't refer to LPNs as if RNs own them. LPNs are not "yours" neither are CNAs. LPNs have their own license and accountability.

From a LPN to RN.

Okay.

Honey, when you graduate you still may have a LPN that is your boss....

My boss?

Just like yesterday I requested fa bolus for my patient...

Oops.

I love talking about work with my nursing buddies whether it was a good day or bad day. My peers often tell me what I could have done better or they validate my actions.

Oops.

Check with your company or the hospital to see....

If it were her company....

My mom is a nurse.

My mother is a nurse.

...my father...

...your MIL...your MIL...

Oops.

yesterday, my patient had his iabp d/c'd....

Oops.

Another girl I worked with, worked so close to work that her 4 year old grandson....

Oops. And was the girl an adult?

I use a name form twilight but that doesn't mean I am a vampire.

I just thought I'd throw that in there.

Darn it, ! I have to say goodnight guys, my honey is patiently waiting ....

Oops.

This was my first assessment so ofcourse my CI was watching me like a hawk.

Oops.

I like when my pt. ....

Oops.

...my nursing friends.

Umm....

My hospital does not do this but this is an awesome idea.

I can't think of a surer road to job satisfaction than buying your own hospital.

"The hospital at which I work" is rather verbose. English is a funny language. Let's ease up on one another. :)

I think you must work for an ex employer of mine! Nurse ABC :banghead:

If another staff member is not pulling their weight. I take it to a manager. Its their job to guide staff and develop a healthy team.

Specializes in Registered Nurse.

If it were only that easy. It usually isn't. But it's a great thought.

Specializes in LTC and School Health.
Okay.

My boss?

Oops.

Oops.

If it were her company....

Oops.

Oops.

Oops. And was the girl an adult?

I just thought I'd throw that in there.

Oops.

Oops.

Oops.

Umm....

I can't think of a surer road to job satisfaction than buying your own hospital.

"The hospital at which I work" is rather verbose. English is a funny language. Let's ease up on one another. :)

Wow. You have waaaay too much time on your hands. I think I'm done with this thread. You all have taken MY opinion about the word "MY" way too seriously. Thank you and goodbye.

Specializes in Med/surg, Quality & Risk.
Wow. You have waaaay too much time on your hands. I think I'm done with this thread. You all have taken MY opinion about the word "MY" way too seriously. Thank you and goodbye.

I'm sorry if you didn't notice, but it was not only "YOUR" posts in the reply! LOL

Wow. You have waaaay too much time on your hands.

My, my, my. Yes, but you see, I'm not robbing parking meters.

I'm just kidding around. If your posts are any indication, you sound like an excellent nurse.

Specializes in Oncology/Haemetology/HIV.

First, I am really glad that I do primary care these days.

Second, in regards to the "my" debacle. Possession works both ways. When I was in "team" nursing, I was oftenreferred to as "my RN", "your RN", etc. Am i then "owned by someone.

And as a note, when working team nursing, there is the phenomenon of "it all falls to the RN". When the RN has to eat/leave floor/etc, another RN covers meds that cannot wait and cares. However, if the CNA or LPN goes on lunch, there is rarely ever any attempt to have a fellow CNA or LPN cover that work - it all reverts to "their" RN, in most facilities in which I have worked.

Things that seriously take the "team" out of team nursing.

+ Add a Comment