New Grad interested in Trauma

Specialties Critical

Published

I'm a new nurse grad (as of May, 13, 2012)... currently studying to take my board exam. On my breaks, I view blogs... trying to find out if its realistic to apply for Trauma: entry-level.

I believe most hospitals are reluctant to higher any new grads into ICU, ER, or Trauma. Despite their differences... I am willing to travel anywhere in the world... just want to earn the experience.

Any suggestions as to what your experience was when you first applied to BSN/RN jobs? What steps did you take to get into Trauma?

This is all good advice. Thanks!

Specializes in Trauma/ ED/ ICU.

My initial attempt to start this discussion was to specifically gain perspective on how RNs of any walks of life have arrived at their desired trauma careers. An attempt to understand the steps that others have taken, to attain a trauma nursing roll. Thank you to those who have responded with helpful feedback (i.e. certs needed for the specialty; hospitals in need of trauma nurses, etc.).:heartbeat

Specializes in ICU.
Sorry to be a downer here, but personally I would start out on a good med-surg unit first. Being a new grad is very stressful and you have ALOT to learn. I have been a nurse for 5 years now and I only recently took a position on a surgical trauma ICU and I will tell you there are times when I fell like a new grad because there is so much to learn. And I have the basics down and am familar with the medications. I really do not understand what is so wrong with working your way into your dream job. You will be so much more comfortable starting out. I am like you I love the faster pace and way a pt can change in a min. Just some words of advice. Good Luck with everything.

If you feel like a new grad after 5 years why would a new grad not be okay to start in an ICU? How long does it take to get the basics down like 1-2 years? The medications you use on a med surg and ICU floor are different right?

If you feel like a new grad after 5 years why would a new grad not be okay to start in an ICU? How long does it take to get the basics down like 1-2 years? The medications you use on a med surg and ICU floor are different right?

I think this is just two equally valid sides to one coin. On the one hand, going in to ICU as an experienced nurse is incredibly challenging: imagine how much harder it would be as a new grad without having "the basics" down first! On the other hand, if you're basically starting from scratch even as an experienced nurse, is there really even a benefit to that time in med surg at all?

I don't think either assessment of paths in to ICU nursing is more right or wrong than the other.

Question for C-Lion: Hi, I am a new grad and have an interview on Trauma Step down unit in few days. I saw your post and am interested in how your interview went by in trauma-step down unit, what was it like and what did they focus over during the interview if you don't mind sharing. This is my first interview and I am really nervous about it. Is there anything I should prepare for you think?

Thanks.

Specializes in CCRN, CEN.

If you can swing it, work in a surgical or neuro ICU first then get ER experience. If you want to go for the gold, stick with academic institutions. Private hospitals rarely see the value in (or afford) a robust education of its nurses. If you're a self starter, overachiever type stay away from the floors, it will just suck your soul dry.

Question for C-Lion: Hi, I am a new grad and have an interview on Trauma Step down unit in few days. I saw your post and am interested in how your interview went by in trauma-step down unit, what was it like and what did they focus over during the interview if you don't mind sharing. This is my first interview and I am really nervous about it. Is there anything I should prepare for you think?

Thanks.

Hi nsgstu-

Interestingly, the trauma step-down unit was the only one who asked me actual practice questions. All the others have asked me personality questions "What are three words your friends would use to describe you?", "tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a co-worker and how you handled it", "what are your strengths and weaknesses?" I am betting you will be asked questions such as these, so I would maybe Google "common interview questions" and practice your answers so you will feel more comfortable.

I did not get the trauma job, but have had other good offers. Good luck! And let us know how it goes...

Thanks C-Lion. Will let you know how it goes.....those disagreement and conflict type questions are so hard to answer since I had none of those episodes thus far. Will do some research...please share if you come up with anymore inputs...thanks again!

I'm not sure where to post this, because there is not a forum devoted to ICU

I was just wondering, can someone give me an idea of what a day in the ICU is like? I have always been very intrested in ER, but my fiance's uncle recently passed away in the ICU and I took a liking to the unit. Just wondering what to expect on a day to day basis if I were to get a job there.

Do they typically hire new grad? I will graduate with a BSN if that makes a difference. Doubtful it does, but wishing can't hurt, right? :)

Specializes in ED, trauma.
I'm not sure where to post this, because there is not a forum devoted to ICU

I was just wondering, can someone give me an idea of what a day in the ICU is like? I have always been very intrested in ER, but my fiance's uncle recently passed away in the ICU and I took a liking to the unit. Just wondering what to expect on a day to day basis if I were to get a job there.

Do they typically hire new grad? I will graduate with a BSN if that makes a difference. Doubtful it does, but wishing can't hurt, right? :)

Try the "critical care nursing" forums. They are dedicated to Trauma ICU, MICU, SICU, etc.

Click on nursing specialities - critical care nursing.

Hope that you find your answer!

That is the forum I was originally looking for, but when I went to post (and when I just re-checked) the forums I can see go from correctional nursing straight to developmental disabilities...

Up at the top of the screen. There is a tab next to specialties that says "Critical". That is where you go.

+ Add a Comment