CNA to RN

Nurses Career Support

Published

Specializes in Emergency Department.

Does a CNA certificate count for anything when going to school to be an RN?

Does a CNA certificate count for anything when going to school to be an RN?

I don't think so.

It did not count in my RN program, but it did count in my LPN program. I think that being a CNA before becoming a nurses is a really good idea. It will help you decide whether or not you like the health care/patients environment, before you go and spend years in college and thousands of $$$ to become an RN.

Specializes in Emergency Department.

Thanks guys. Didn't think so but it was worth a shot:)

In the program that I'm trying to get into, CNA training and experience counts as points to get in. The more points you have, the better chance you have.

Hello! At the CC I attend in North Florida, admittance to the program is geared to how many points you have acquired (mostly thru your grades)..for those applying to the nursing program, a CNA (EMT & LPN also) is awarded an extra 20 points on their application..whew..thinking I should get that certificate just for the clinical and points value alone before I apply! :)

Specializes in Home Health Care.

At my C.C, Having a current CNA certificate exempts you from having to take nursing essentials 1.

My CNA has lapsed, so unfortunately I will have to take nursing ess. 1. :rolleyes:

CNA does not "count" as credit in RN schools (that I am aware) but certainly will count as giving you excellent experience. Try to find an employer who reimburses for education, which would be an added plus!

At the BSN program I am applying to, they gave me 3 hours elective credit for having taken the CNA course at community college.

+ Add a Comment