Pediatric Home Health

Specialties Pediatric

Published

What is the rationale for not bag a patient with a concentrator?

Specializes in NICU, PICU, PCVICU and peds oncology.

If they're not on home oxygen why would they need to be bagged with a concentrator? There aren't enough details in your post to help us see what it is you're asking.

If they're not on home oxygen why would they need to be bagged with a concentrator? There aren't enough details in your post to help us see what it is you're asking.

Thanks for your reply. I found the answer.

But for clarification, when your patient is in respiratory arrest, I was told by RT we are not to use use a O2 concentrator as O2 source while bagging, it was a test question on my trach/vent exam.

I would not use one anyway, but I wanted to know why, specifically.

I found a hospital manual for using a concentrator that answered this question. Thank you for your input. It's appreciated.

Specifically, the flow of oxygen is not high enough to be used in bagging or resuscitation scenario, according to the manual.

Specializes in NICU, PICU, PCVICU and peds oncology.

Ah. Those details do help! The concentrator will also give you varying FiO2s too, so when you really want to be bagging on 100% you can't be guaranteed that unless you're on the cylinder or central O2 source.

Ah. Those details do help! The concentrator will also give you varying FiO2s too, so when you really want to be bagging on 100% you can't be guaranteed that unless you're on the cylinder or central O2 source.

Perfect! Thank you.

+ Add a Comment