What is a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) and Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice?

Specialties CRNA

Published

what is doctor of nursing practice (dnp) and doctor of nurse anesthesia practice (dnap)?

what is the aana’s official position statement on doctoral education and where can i view it?

the aana board of directors’ position statement on doctoral education is: “the aana supports doctoral education for entry into nurse anesthesia practice by 2025.” the statement can be accessed on the aana website at http://www.aana.com/dpcrna_presentations.aspx.

where did the vision for the doctor of nursing practice (dnp) originate?

the american association of colleges of nursing (aacn) has adopted a position that all advanced practice nurses, including nurse anesthetists, be educated at the practice doctorate degree level and earn a doctor of nursing practice (dnp). as part of its initiative, the aacn developed a document containing “essential” elements of a dnp curriculum and influenced programs offering a nursing doctor (nd) degree to change the degree to the dnp.

why does the aana support the vision of doctoral education for future nurse anesthetists?

since its founding in 1931, the aana has advanced quality education as the means to ensure that certified registered nurse anesthetists (crnas) are the best-prepared, safest anesthesia providers possible. over the years, the educational standards for nurse anesthesia programs have grown to meet the required knowledge and skills for entry into practice. during the 1980s nurse anesthesia educational programs moved from hospital-based certificate programs to university-based graduate programs, and in 1998 the council on accreditation of nurse anesthesia educational programs (coa) finalized the requirement that all programs award a master’s or higher level degree. to best position crnas to meet the extraordinary changes in today’s healthcare environment, the aana believes it is essential to support doctoral education for future nurse anesthetists.

more info:

aacn - doctor of nursing practice

aana:

the doctorate in nursing practice (dnp): background, current status and future activities

information on doctoral preparation for nurse anesthetists

aana announces support of doctorate for entry into nurse anesthesia practice by 2025

The DNP is another glorify easy degree, its purpose was to make/prepare better clinical nurses but if you look at the curriculum of almost all DNP programs you wont find more than 2 classes that involve clinical medicine.

Its funny that the Purdue DNP program states 192 hours of residency, As a 3rd year resident IM I do that in less than 3 weeks working 80 hours per week.

Its a joke and that's why even the nurse community can find a common ground on this topic.

Not a very well thought out answer here. Basically, in the very near future, nurses will take on more responsibility in healthcare. They will be front line primary care practitionars. Get your facts correct about Purdue's DNP, it is not just 192 hours of residency. This program is for people who already are an advanced practice nurse and already have a Master's Degree. Typically these people have done years of clinical work. So, let's say they have worked for 3 years, well that is 6,240 hours already!!! Be very careful on what you quote from websites and take the time to read.

Are there any MDA programs which will take CRNAs and give any kind of credit for courses taken and experience which might shorten the program and yet yield a MDA rather than a DNA?

Ahh no, and why would you want to become an MDA?? Watch what the future brings, there are going to be more and more CRNA's and less and less MDA's. MDA's are too expensive. Healthcare is finally figuring that out. Nurse Anesthetists provide the same quality of care as MDA's without any higher morbidity or mortality.

Specializes in Surgical Specialty Clinic - Ambulatory Care.

I agree with 'elkpark' and 'aCRNAwannabe' on this issue. I got my BSN from a school that is apparently top notch yet after graduating and starting my first nursing position I felt like a fish trying to swim through sand. I started college late in comparison to the majority, and was able to go through my BSN and first 4 years of nursing with a good highschool buddy who was in his last 4 years of MD school and 4 year residency. I was able to compare our education in this manner and found my BSN to be woefully short on teaching me the basics of nursing and the guidance to have confidence to practice post graduation. I'm not going to say that my friend didn't struggle with confidence in his skills, but he struggled with that confidence the last two years of his medical degree and the first two years of residency when he had considerable professional resources still available to him and dedicated educational time to review his performance with is professors. I feel like I had to pick up everything I know on the fly and half-assed in comparison. Makes me regret the $50K I spend to get my BS Nursing degree. I spent more time with books and papers than I ever did with a patient or learning skills.

I realize the science behind what we do is important. But if some insane nursing association is expecting us to pony up not just another $30K, but an additonal $60K for a doctorate in Nursing then the programs should include a very MD like school experience. I'm not saying that because I think nurses are MDs or a Phd in Nursing should be the same as a doctor. I'm saying that my BSN was a joke...I do/did not feel any better prepaired for my career than the ADNs I started nursing with. Lord knows a paid twice as much as those ADNs though.

If an MSN and and Phd prepaired RN are going to measure up the same as an ADN does to a BSN then someone needs to take the stick out of their ass and realize that until the programs measure up to the degree that is being offered they really need to quit wasting our time, the patients time, the doctors time, and everyone's money with these stupid ideas of forcing everyone to get a worthless piece of paper when the same job can be done for less.

Specializes in CRNA, Finally retired.

Sounds like you are frustated by the limitations of the nurse practice act. Perhaps you would be happier as mid-livel practitioner but I don't know how to protect yourself from all the lousy programs around. Even our CRNA programs are slipping.

Specializes in Emergency, ICU.
feel like I had to pick up everything I know on the fly and half-assed in comparison. Makes me regret the $50K I spend to get my BS Nursing degree. I spent more time with books and papers than I ever did with a patient or learning skills."

Completely agreed! BSN education is well, BS! Nursing theory? Really? Now that's a ridiculous subject altogether. We are practitioners of skills mainly and in some specialties, we need the SCIENCE to back up our practice. Science, anatomy, physiology, chemistry. Not "careative" theory of patient care! (instead of "curative" as in what physicians do-- yeah, that's nursing theory for you).

I'm very glad I completed my ADN on a full scholarship (thank you brain) and now have an employer who is fully reimbursing my MSN education. Notice I said MSN? Yup. I found a program that takes me from ADN to MSN and bypasses a lot of the BS. Only catch? I won't be getting a BSN degree, just straight to an MSN and advanced nursing practice training (awwww, let me go cry over that terrible loss...) oh, wait! I forgot to say that I will be able to get a DNP by completing a dual advanced practice degree, so I will actually have relevant clinical experience behind my final nursing degree and only then will the medical establishment "allow and respect" my practice. More BS ;)

Please, please, please tell me what program you found that skips the "BS"-N. I already have two Bachelor's degrees. Is it Loyola? or another MSN program? I need to get started ASAP.

Please, please, please tell me what program you found that skips the "BS"-N. I already have two Bachelor's degrees. Is it Loyola? or another MSN program? I need to get started ASAP.

There are many, I did a google search for adn to msn and went from there. It depends on what you want to follow as a specialty.

This article also helped: http://www.bestnursingdegree.com/programs/masters-in-nursing/

Good luck!

Specializes in critcal care, CRNA.

What MSN are you earning. What DNP will you end up with?

Specializes in CRNA, Finally retired.

What program allows you to become a CRNA without a BSN? And how about that ICU experience requirement? This is the CRNA forum.

What program allows you to become a CRNA without a BSN? And how about that ICU experience requirement? This is the CRNA forum.

There are at least 2 crna programs that take rn's sans bsn. Google crna education and explore, the info is out there.

Specializes in Anesthesia.

A BSN is not a requirement to get into CRNA school, but a bachelors degree is.

[h=6]"Requirements[/h]

The requirements for becoming a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) mainly include having a bachelor's degree in nursing (or other appropriate baccalaureate degree), Registered Nurse licensure, a minimum of one year acute care experience (for example, ICU or ER), and the successful completion of both an accredited nurse anesthesia educational program and the national certification examination. For more information about the nurse anesthesia profession and its requirements, please read the documents information below."

Become a CRNA

+ Add a Comment