Puerto Rico school feedback - thread #2

World US Territories

Published

Wow after 9 years and 1336 posts they closed our thread because it was too long.

The original thread and all the helpful posts can be found here:

https://allnurses.com/international-nursing/puerto-rico-school-28678.html

There are 134 pages in that thread but the last 130 pages were from 2010 and beyond and there is a ton of helpful info in there. Hopefully the current students will continue this thread as I graduate this month. Please try to read that thread at least a little bit before posting your questions here as it is very likely your question has been asked and answered on the other thread more than once.

Good luck on whatever path you choose!

Yogi you are a God sent. Lol. I don't know how I would have made up my mind about actually moving if I didn't read your previous posts.

P.s. thanks you for answering the post in the thread so everyone can benefit! Cause I keep getting the same " hold for someone who speaks English".....waiting .....waiting .....disconnected.

Yogi you are a God sent. Lol. I don't know how I would have made up my mind about actually moving if I didn't read your previous posts.

P.s. thanks you for answering the post in the thread so everyone can benefit! Cause I keep getting the same " hold for someone who speaks English".....waiting .....waiting .....disconnected.

Your welcome. You can "like" my post so my reputation points go up. That is one thing I found here that people don't "like" posts as they do in other forums.

But yeah I lot of people want to message me and 90% of the time it is general info that I prefer to post publicly so everyone can benefit.

The only time we can't post publicly is if it refers to someone's name. So that is why we use code words like advisor "E" and Dr A, etc.

Let me know if you got through to the nursing dept with that extension?

Specializes in ER.
quote from joe v

moved to our new
puerto rico / us territories nursing
section

please create your own thread if you have a question regarding puerto rico school(s).

this will make it easier for members to find, follow, and participate in your threads.

thank you

i was wondering if it would be possible to transition this thread to la inter metro specific sections with threads on relevant subtopics (since it's proven that it's gotten quite alot of posts and would help those trying to differentiate between schools/specific topics). it would also be awesome to allow a category for roommate postings/selling of items (books/furnishings etc).

thanks. i send a couple of messages the last couple years to you guys asking for this. i am so glad that us territories has their own section now as it did not make sense to house these threads in the international forum.

i agree.

quote from keke3202

yogi you are a god sent.

i would agree! :)

Hello,

After reading this thread back in December I decided to apply to the schools in Puerto rico. I finally got an acceptance letter a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I have not even been in contact with the nursing department, as I cannot seem to get a hold of them. The only person whom I have been in contact with is “E” from LA inter. I’m kind of panicking over here. The program starts August 1rst and I live in Oregon…..

I want to go out to Puerto rico to talk to someone in the nursing department and sit down and see all which classes I have left to take… since I have about 150 credits… and have one semester of nursing school completed… All they sent me with my acceptance letter was a piece of paper with about 10 of my classes handwritten down with the credits next to them. Not really sure what that means, since I cant get in contact with anyone its really frustrating. Does anybody have any advice as to what I should do? I want to make an appointment with someone in the nursing program that will be able to tell me exactly which classes I have left to take and if I am accepted into the “accelerated program”. Also I want to see what other documents they need before I start the program so I can try to get all those in Oregon before the program starts in August. Also can someone please give me any email addresses or phone numbers that would be helpful to contact.

• Another thing…… is there any furnished apartments near school or the area??
  • Also I will be looking for a roommate as well….. Any where I can look for room mates?
  • Is the school open week of june 11th and june 18th?
  • Will anybody else be around the area during those weeks?

also can someone please give me any email addresses or phone numbers that would be helpful to contact.

• another thing…… is there any furnished apartments near school or the area??
  • also i will be looking for a roommate as well….. any where i can look for room mates?
  • is the school open week of june 11th and june 18th?
  • will anybody else be around the area during those weeks?

i posted the telephone number just 4 posts back from the post you asked this. again the number is

787-250-1912 and the extension is 2159.

furnished apartments are hard to find. there are some in the beach areas but even then not many and the furnished ones go for a lot more.

yes the school is open year round. the month of june the accelerated class is taking pediatrics and there are definitely people in the nursing building. that is also graduation week.

Thankyou Yogi for the information!!

1. how do you go about registering for classes?

2. can you register online for first year or do you have to do it in person?

3. is there an orientation for first year students?

4. how do you know if you are accepted into the accelerated program? ( on my letter all they said was you are admitted and listed 10 classes i have taken with their credits.... i have thane about 150 credits- including a&p, all science classes, math,etc, and one semester of nursing program already)

5 .who would be better to talk to regarding which classes they accepted ( and if i got into the accelerated program) the admissions office or nursing program?

6.which teacher(s) would you recommend for first year?

Thankyou Yogi for the information!!

1. how do you go about registering for classes?

You have to do it in person in the nursing building.

2. can you register online for first year or do you have to do it in person?

You have to do first time registration in person.

3. is there an orientation for first year students?

Yes there is orientation. It is not required but that is how I registered the first time. I did it at the June orientation. I believe there is one in May, June, and July. I am not positive but I think the June one is the 15th of June?! Someone else here may be able to confirm that.

4. how do you know if you are accepted into the accelerated program? ( on my letter all they said was you are admitted and listed 10 classes i have taken with their credits.... i have thane about 150 credits- including a&p, all science classes, math,etc, and one semester of nursing program already)

If you do not have a Bachelors then you will probably not be in the accelerated program. I know others with a lot of units but no degree and they were in the non accelerated program.

5 .who would be better to talk to regarding which classes they accepted ( and if i got into the accelerated program) the admissions office or nursing program?

Which classes they accepted would be admissions but I can’t help you there as I never had to deal with them once I got my letter.

6.which teacher(s) would you recommend for first year?

Ha, that’s funny. You don’t have a say and you don’t know who your teacher will be until the first day of class. And you are lucky if your professor is there the first day of class. Be prepared folks they may be hiring the professor and the prof will start the following week. I just don’t want you to be shocked. It happens less and less as the program goes on. Like this second year I had professors in all my classes from day one except for one clinical.

Specializes in Med-Surg; Home Health; Geriatrics.

Is there anyone on this thread that will be La Inter or Umet in 2013?

Specializes in Med-Surg; Home Health; Geriatrics.

Congrats to everyone who has graduated! Good luck with your new careers. It is a very rewarding career, I am currently an LVN, and I love it!

I have been following these thread for about 2 years. I reget that I will not be able to met the people that have been on here like Designer Mommy, WorldTraveling Yogi, and others, because you guys have been soooo helpful. I hope that when I attend in 2013, that there will be people willing to help like you guys did.

Congrats to everyone who has graduated! Good luck with your new careers. It is a very rewarding career, I am currently an LVN, and I love it!

I have been following these thread for about 2 years. I reget that I will not be able to met the people that have been on here like Designer Mommy, WorldTraveling Yogi, and others, because you guys have been soooo helpful. I hope that when I attend in 2013, that there will be people willing to help like you guys did.

That is awesome you are already an LVN. That makes things so much easier. Since a huge difference in LVN and RN is medications I urge you to take a pharmocology class while you are in the states as you have the time. The one I took here left a lot to be desired.

Good luck with you future txlvn44. Hopefully all these people on here now that are about to start will help out the others.

hey floridaborn, which school are you going to attending? i'm 99% most likely to attend LA inter in august, and will be looking for a place to stay for august..... am coming down either next week or week after that. let me know if are going to be down there and can met up. my email is [email protected]

thanks again yogi. I totally know what you are talking about being prepared for if we don't have a professor first week. This happened to me during my first semester at nursing school in california. One of the first semester teacher passed away right before the term started, and we didn't have a teacher the first few weeks and the rest of the term we had about..... 5 different teachers for our clinicals. On top of that the entire nursing department was in the transition of moving onto a different campus, was really chaotic.

- Had another question, i was reading that some hospitals require a CPR... Did you have to have to get a CPR card?

-Does the school offer a CPR class if they do come upon hospitals that require this?

+ Add a Comment