Cath Lab / EP lab dress code Policy

Specialties CCU

Published

Hi,

I'm working on revising our cath lab and EP lab dress code policy at our hospital in North Carolina and would like to know what other hospitals are doing around the country. At the moment we consider the cardiac caths "clean procedures" and do not require the circulator to wear a hat and mask but the scrub and doctor do for example. Most EP procedures are considered sterile procedures and everyone in the room is requires to wear a hat and mask along with hospital scrubs and sterile gowns.

Here are some of the questions I need your help with, regarding EP and cath lab dress code policies: The cath / EP member's I'm focusing on are the circulator and the scrub tech.

1. Do you allow staff to wear own scrubs or stricktly hospital scrubs?

2. Do you allow staff to wear own warm ups such as fleece jackets?

3.Do you allow long sleeve shirts under the scrubs or only short sleeves?

4.Who is required to wear a hat, mask, eye shield? Scrub? Circulator? Both?

5.Do you have to wear shoe covers?

6. Do you allow long chain ID badge holders

Thank you for your help and if there's anything else not mentioned here that you are doing, please comment

:redpinkhe:heartbeat:yeah:

Specializes in ICU.

I dont work cath lab, but I work ICU. Why not make them all wear masks and hats? I mean, currently our standard putting in central lines at the bedside is full barrier precautions and everyone in the room must wear a mask and hat. So in cathlab putting a sheath in would be no different that a central line.

just my 2 cents.

Specializes in ICU, SICU, Burns, ED, Cath lab, and EMS.
Hi,

I'm working on revising our cath lab and EP lab dress code policy at our hospital in North Carolina and would like to know what other hospitals are doing around the country. At the moment we consider the cardiac caths "clean procedures" and do not require the circulator to wear a hat and mask but the scrub and doctor do for example. Most EP procedures are considered sterile procedures and everyone in the room is requires to wear a hat and mask along with hospital scrubs and sterile gowns.

Here are some of the questions I need your help with, regarding EP and cath lab dress code policies: The cath / EP member's I'm focusing on are the circulator and the scrub tech.

1. Do you allow staff to wear own scrubs or stricktly hospital scrubs?

2. Do you allow staff to wear own warm ups such as fleece jackets?

3.Do you allow long sleeve shirts under the scrubs or only short sleeves?

4.Who is required to wear a hat, mask, eye shield? Scrub? Circulator? Both?

5.Do you have to wear shoe covers?

6. Do you allow long chain ID badge holders

Thank you for your help and if there's anything else not mentioned here that you are do.

Hi,

We wear hospital provided scrubs..its not an option at our faciility. Fleece jackets are allowed in nondevice related procedures for the monitor and circulator/nurse roles. The long sleeves are worn by nonscrub personnel. Facial/eye/hat s are worn by the scrub during caths/eps. Hats and masks by anybody in a device implant.Shoecovers are optional. The long badge holders arent regulated.

Hopefully this helps,

Skip

Thank you for your input!

Creamsoda, you definitely have a point there and thanks Skip for telling me about your cath lab!

One of the scrub techs just asked me to find out if in case you do require hats and masks, if you are require to wear them from the moment you step foot in the room or when you're at the table. :)

One of the scrub techs just asked me to find out if in case you do require hats and masks, if you are require to wear them from the moment you step foot in the room or when you're at the table. :)

Specializes in ICU.

I do outcomes in the cath and vascular lab. This is what I observed:

The scrub and MD wear full gear, masks, hats, gloves, as the procedure is sterile.

The circulator does not have to wear any of that, as they do not touch the sterile field. Although hats may be required, not really sure.

They use OR scrubs and are allowed to wear a long sleeved shirt underneath.

They all wear shoe covers.

The cath lab executive director I work at up here in NJ is a transplant from North Carolina..... I wonder if it's the same hospital.....

Specializes in Emergency.

Old post, I know, but I am searching for the "standards" required in a cath lab. I do find it bizarre that the standard for putting in a Central line is that everyone in the room wear a hat and mask, but that in the Cath lab people are not wearing a head cover or a mask... Anyone have any guidelines they can refer me to....

In our cath lab, we only wear hospital scrubs. Since we may go from ep to cath to implant procedures we wear only hospital scrubs & are not allowed to wear our own jackets either. we are allowed to wear short sleeves under our scrubs. The scrub tech & md are required to wear mask & gloves but only do so in implant procedures :(. We are not allowed to wear long chain ID badge holders. Hope this helps.

+ Add a Comment